Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Machine Shop Recommendations

Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995
Default Re: Machine Shop Recommendations

Originally Posted by Race B&on
That true? Kinda sucks because I've got an M44 block chilling in my garage that I'd like to do something with. Seems like everyone in this area only focuses on the domestics. It makes sense but you'd think there'd be someone local that does work on imports.
on the last d series i built, i had a guy in lexington work the block for me. if anybody wants the information i can round it up.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by Race B&on
That true? Kinda sucks because I've got an M44 block chilling in my garage that I'd like to do something with. Seems like everyone in this area only focuses on the domestics. It makes sense but you'd think there'd be someone local that does work on imports.
I used Hudson's several times in the past,and they were great.They're out of business now though.
There may very well be a shop around here that does great work,but if there is I've never heard of it.All the shops I either have first-hand experience with or have friends with first-hand experience with have not had good results.
I'm sure a big part as far as performance oriented stuff goes is that there are only a handfull of people in the area that have ever done in depth internal engine builds on imports that require machine work.

Regardless,any decent mchaine shop should be able to perform the basic honing/decking/etc on ANY engine,but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

For your M44 I'd maybe call Bimmerworld and see who they use.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by TNGChris
I used Hudson's several times in the past,and they were great.They're out of business now though.
There may very well be a shop around here that does great work,but if there is I've never heard of it.All the shops I either have first-hand experience with or have friends with first-hand experience with have not had good results.
I'm sure a big part as far as performance oriented stuff goes is that there are only a handfull of people in the area that have ever done in depth internal engine builds on imports that require machine work.

Regardless,any decent mchaine shop should be able to perform the basic honing/decking/etc on ANY engine,but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

For your M44 I'd maybe call Bimmerworld and see who they use.
Good call. They're right down the road too.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

white-lightning has disabled reputation

Talked to Terry Walter's Engines today and from the conversation they are the ones to go with. I had to leave for class and my dad talked to them when they called back with a price quote. When asked about a warranty my dad was told they would stand behind their work. Their quote was less than what I could get a reman through a chain store and all the defective seat will be replaced properly. Dropping it off in the morning on my way to Martinsville.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Good luck!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

They do good work, generally charge plenty for it. The biggest problem I've had from them is time management. Sometimes they get it out on time, sometimes they don't.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
GT-Four Guy

Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze

I've sent some motors to terry, as have a few of my friends mostly WRX/STi stuff, but a friend has had two miata heads over there for valve work for a turbo setup. I was pleased with the work done though they do take their time.

for Subaru they don't to do torque plate honing. not sure on other motors.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

The price for getting the head done properly is cheaper than a full motor rebuild, if a seat failed. I was told it should be ready next week. Doesn't really matter to me if it is the week after, as I have a broken head bolt to remove in the mean time...
Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

2.2eg has disabled reputation

I use harmans as my jobs have used harmans from 15Liter diesel engines down to 3 cylinder engines they are working my 4g63 now cavy wait for it to hit the street as I am a Honda fan this awd should be a monster
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Got it back today. Looks great. They even went as far to checking my valve springs and re-shimmed them to make sure they are at factory specs.