Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Where do you get your money for the car lifestyle?

Old 07-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri
Default Re: Where do you get your money for the car lifestyle?

Like blaxican said, buy what you can afford. I sat down and made a list of things I want. Every paycheck I try to buy at least one thing off that list.
It's definitely hard when ya wanna buy things that cost more than your beater so then I just save up, take a little out every paycheck and put it aside.
Also credit card are the devil.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Jungle Boogie

Jester_Si has disabled reputation

You get into a routine-
When i was 18-19 i couldn't afford to wipe with anything other than 7-11 napkins and had days where i had to argue with myself over food or smokes. I am now 27 and have a house (paying for) , a wakeboard/ski boat (paid for) a grand cherokee (paid for) a built turbo hatch that better produce 420 to the wheels (paid for, almost finished) and a newly acquired 4 door "wrecked " gsr (also paid for) for the wifey. Oh and i have a 2 year old doughter , a "housewife" and no credit cards!

I look at that, and my 6 day work week at 12+ hours a day starts to make sense!
Oh and i have been a digital phone, cable, and hsi tech for cox for the last 5 years-
Old 07-14-2004, 05:36 PM

jimporsche86 has disabled reputation

I own a backhoe $50 an hour.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Company Man

LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE

Work -> Money

Money = Legal Tender

Legal Tender can be exchanged for goods and services

Car parts = goods

Nothin of mine has ever broke, because I don't drive like a maniac and I take care of my car.

I don't buy much and when I do I make sure I got the money in the bank
Old 07-14-2004, 05:47 PM

CNU94Accord is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have to agree with pretty much all that was said already. Back when I was in high school...c/o 2003 btw, I had no payments on anything. All I paid for was gas and going out to eat with friends and all that kinda stuff that everyone does. So all the money that I made went to my car. I bought the car the summer before for $4000, so that was paid for by me and right on the spot.

Now after 1st year of college, I began to realize some stuff. I can't afford this hobby, that is and do the other stuff I want to do. So I had to sit down and think, would I rather have a fast or nicer looking or NEW car, or move out and get out on my own. I picked move out. The only money I spend on my car now is to fix anything that goes wrong, and if something can be replaced performance wise, I just do that. For example, I hit a deer awhile back, messed up headlight and hood and grill...just got me a cf hood from the group sale we did. and side jobs is exactly what I'm doing. Most all that money will go to saving up for a different project car or maybe a beater and I can do stuff to this one more...I havent decided yet. But that's my take on it all.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:50 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

Maybe you should get another roommate or move to a cheaper location. Having the best place available is great, and everyone wants it, but remember, you're RENTING, so it will never be yours, and you're just dumping money into a pit. Don't waste it on a "sweet" bachelor pad, etc, if you're renting. When I was in FL I was working a $10/hr job at my dads hospital, + highschool, and I paid $250/mo to live with my friend in a townhouse with just her as the other roommate..

I was 17 and had money for tons of shit, I had a TV in my Prelude, Venom nitrous, header/intake/exhaust, paintjob, bodykits, full audio system, rims.. etc. I also had killer benefits and since I worked at a hospital could have one free local doctor appointment a month.

Unfortunately my mom got sick and I had to move back to VA and now I'm stuck here.

What do you do IT wise? Actual IT work, or are you a customer support or something?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:04 PM
In Hoc Signo Vinces

I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang

my friends and i steal 18 wheelers and sell the goods for extra income

beats me, i decided to leave my truck stock because i knew it would be a money bit. the kids in highschool can usually afford to do shit to their car because they still live with mommie and daddy, have zero bills, and then throw all of their money into their ride.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:05 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

I have a job that pays for everything.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:13 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Plan your spending and do not double spend. I made many mistakes such as jumping into shit without researching the product and products turning out to be shitty. Ever spend more than $3K in a year for just wheels and tires? I have.... 3 sets of rims, 4 sets of tires...ha ha ha... my novice days. Quality does count. You may end up spending more but you'll be happier. It pays off.... Trust me, I'm in debt. I'm learning that the hard way now. You're better off saving cash for what you want. Again, planning does the job..... and yes, side job can also get you there, whether for parts trade or plain cash. Goodluck
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
It's Duck Season

JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub

What money?

Quick Reply: Where do you get your money for the car lifestyle?