Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

HANDGUN LAWS in va?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFB16A is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HANDGUN LAWS in va?

Originally Posted by Kaedenky
Virginia is open carry with no permit, but be prepared to explain yourself if you are wandering around carrying it open in public. Legally you can open carry anywhere except churches, schools and banks. Federal buildings and Court houses also do not allow weapons. Funny is you can carry into a police station legally, but I wouldn't attempt it. You are also not allowed to open carry into any private property if the owner says you may not.

Concealed carry is permit only, but Virginia is a shall permit state. Meaning if you apply and you don't have a criminal history or protective orders against you you will get one. You do have to take some sort of gun safety class. Most gun shops will offer something for 50 to 100 bucks. Concealed carry has the same exceptions as open carry, but you also may not conceal in any establishment that sells alcohol. You can legall open carry, meaning if you go into olive garden you are supposed to unconceal your weapon before you enter. Problem is most places like this will ask you to leave once they see you with an open carry weapon.

Otherwise, transportation without a a concealed weapon permit requires it to be unloaded and unaccessable to you. Most suggest gun in trunk and ammo in glove box, but anything that clearly shows a separation will be fine. That or don't be a dick to cops and get your car searched. Overall, if you are going to be handling weapons often and transporting them getting a ccw is worth not getting hasseled over your weapons.

Since you live in Northern Va, you should also know that DC and Maryland are no guns no reciprocity. They do not recognize your va ccw or anyones for that matter. Do not take your weapon there unless you really like jail time.
guess i should have read the other posts in the thread before i wasted time replying myself huh.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered member

SLOW SOL has disabled reputation

could have sworn the gun has to be in a locked metal box in the trunk, but that was like 2-3 years ago
Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 PM
12.63 sec Lightning

2001svt has disabled reputation

ya you can carry a hand gun with out a ccw permit but it has to be visable from three sides, Front, back, side.

and with the ccw permit you cannot carry the gun into any place that sells alch. like restrants and things
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa

is the virginia concealed weapons permit valid only in va? what about a florida concealed weapons permit? i'm only asking because i've heard that a fl permit is valid in several states whereas va is only valid in va.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 PM

dorifto83 dorifto83

Originally Posted by b18c195
sup guys

well my question is what are the handgun laws in virginia? Are you able to carry one on you? as far as i knew i dont think you need a permit to carry a handgun in Virginia.

Someone correct me please. Or any info on it?

What about if u have it in the trunk of you vehicle unloaded?

I been going to the local gun range lately one in chantilly near the expo center. I just was curious in case i get pulled over am i legally able to have one on me if its in the trunk
You better not get shot over some bullshit dude, if you're carrying a gun and get pulled over, then let that be the fist thing you tell the cop. Be safe Ampreet.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Right, because a police officer will shoot you for having a gun in your trunk.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kanadaa
is the virginia concealed weapons permit valid only in va? what about a florida concealed weapons permit? i'm only asking because i've heard that a fl permit is valid in several states whereas va is only valid in va.
you heard wrong.

virginia permit is good in-
ALASKA
FLORIDA
IDAHO
INDIANA
KENTUCKY
LOUISIANA
MICHIGAN
MISSOURI
MONTANA
NORTH CAROLINA
OHIO
OKLAHOMA
TENNESSEE
UTAH
VERMONT
WEST VIRGINIA

last time i checked.
It's called reciprocity, look it up.
Oh, and the no ccw/must open carry into places with alcohol is only for places that serve alcohol for ON SITE CONSUMPTION. its perfectly legal to carry in a liquor store or what not.

Last edited by EFB16A; 01-08-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
On One Wheel

sprayedcivic has disabled reputation

u can carry a loaded gun on ur person in a car if u wnt smart thing to do is if u get pulled throw it on the dash and tell the officer u have it u need n other permiy unless u wish to carry concealed and then u r still limited to wear u can carry
bottom line u act like a crook w a gun u gonna get treated like one
Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Quick Shifts

ISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond reputeISpimpin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprayedcivic
u can carry a loaded gun on ur person in a car if u wnt smart thing to do is if u get pulled throw it on the dash and tell the officer u have it u need n other permiy unless u wish to carry concealed and then u r still limited to wear u can carry
bottom line u act like a crook w a gun u gonna get treated like one
Yes, when the cop pulls you over, do reach down and grab your gun to put it on the dash...

That will go over GREAT!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM

dorifto83 dorifto83

Originally Posted by EFB16A
Right, because a police officer will shoot you for having a gun in your trunk.
thanks Zach

Quick Reply: HANDGUN LAWS in va?