Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

zx9 question

Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soloboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: zx9 question

^^ yeah i checked it about a hour ago, I took the line that runs from the pump to the motor and it wasnt squarting any gas when i cranked it over.. So the problem is between the fuel filter and fuel pump.. Ima go take the line off the other side of the filter to see if gas is making it threw the filter and if so then I know its the pump.. But i really hope not bc its 200 bucks for a new one
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

your pump isnt neccesarily broke yo.... check for electricity.. if you dont have a test light that shit is like 5 bucks at autoparts im sure...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

Yeah I got one but I am not sure what wires to test.. Someone said there should be the 3 plugs ... that pic above is the wires im working with. I just need to know which one to test.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
SV haver

yea..... check the cable on the fuel pump.. there should be like 2... or maybe 3 if its retarded...lol....
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

There is a red and black but i have to slice into them to test them bc they run straight into the harness
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

there's no way the pump runs straight into the harness with no plug, no way, no how. i don't recall exactly what the plug looks like, but there's either a multi-pin plug farther up, or a couple of single connections. there's not a jap bike on the planet that has the pump hardwired to the harness unless someone cut out the connector, soldered it, and shrink wrapped (or taped) it.

check the other line on the pump, from the tank, and make sure fuel is getting to the pump from the tank, if it is, check the other end of the pump, WHILE YOUR TURNING THE MOTOR OVER, NOT JUST WITH THE KEY ON. like i said, on a zx9, the pump only works while you have your finger on the start button, or after the motor is already running.

btw WTF happened to your inner fender? all that road shit being thrown into your electronics is not a good thing. somewhere on the subframe/under the tail is a little black box with a red multi=pin connector that is the fuel pump relay. find it, swap it out if you can (same relay as a zx7 if you have a friend you can borrow one from) and see what happens. though, from the looks of it, the rear end of your bike has been hacked up, so the relay might be somewhere else.

*edit, i just reread your post, ok, so no fuel with the bike cranking from the pump to the carbs, either you have a bad pump, or bad wiring, or a bad relay. get a test light or a multi-meter, check for power and ground to the pump while you're cranking the motor over, if you have good power and ground, the pump is shot, if you don't, bad wiring or bad relay. problem is you can't find the relay, on a stock bike it's be right next to the ECU (big black box with two big connectors), but your rear end has been cut up, it could be anywhere around that general area. the fact that you say there's no fuel pump connector leads me to think someone's been screwing with the wiring at some point, so i'd be looking into that first.
i have seen bikes run dry and smoke the pump though from trying to pump gas that isn't there, so don't be surprised if it IS the pump.

like i said before though, all you really have to do is put your hand on the pump while you crank the bike over, feel any vibration (other than from the bike spinning over)? if so, the pump is probably fine, if not, either the pump is shot or you have bad wiring and/or a bad relay.

Last edited by skr00zloose; 06-24-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

Na I cant feel any vibration when trying to start, And yeah the plastic piece that is supposed to cover the trunk , the guy i got it from had it that low for it to rub.. I bought new links and raised it up a lil bit.. But yeah im trying to find my test light now and test them.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM
SV haver

any luck??? did you at least find out what it was?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned

^ Havent found my test light yet. But its to do with the pump. So either not getting power to it , maybe ground came loose. Or it went bad. I am borrowing a buddy's test light in the morning so I will know soon.. I am jus hoping its jus a bad ground or something so I dont have to buy a new one. But one way or another its gotta get fixed
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

look at manual yet?

Quick Reply: zx9 question