Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1998 Eclipse GSX having Turbo Problems Help Please!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613
Default Re: 1998 Eclipse GSX having Turbo Problems Help Please!!!

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
Doesn't help much if you don't provide more information regarding the symptoms. 92k miles doesn't mean anything, my stocker had 130k on it with very little shaft play.
Well I already told my friend to take it to Auto Parts, but he hasn't get a chance to take it. I should have an answer by Friday or Saturday the latest.

Thanks once again for all the help.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
Well the description is not great but my guess is either boost leak, stuff hooked up wrong, or blown turbo. I've seen some wierd shit caused by blown turbos before. I certainly hope your friend isn't driving it with lines disconnected.

My friend was also telling me that the stock Boost Gauge doesn't even move when you are driving. I don't know if that means that the Turbo is dead. Well he actually drove the car to work like two days ago, but I'm not sure if he is driving it every day. What happens if you drive the car with the lines disconnected??
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

The only thing the stock boost gauge is good for is... well nothing. You shouldnt have to look at the boost gauge to know if its getting boost. You should feel it no matter if it's 5 psi. I am not nearly as experienced as the other DSM guys mentioned in this thread. But it sounds like a bad turbo, If a tube was not connected properly the car would feel like its hitting a wall at WOT, and run shitty. and also is that BOV recirculated? Unless you are running the GM MAF I would reccomend throwing the stocker back on. Or a 1g BOV, they can be had for cheap and work great.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Registered member

GreatShamanGT has disabled reputation

You need to get a boost gauge. Seriously, even get a cheap autometer gauge. This can tell you how much vacuum you're pulling, etc. You definitely need an aftermarket boost gauge. The turbo timer doesn't help unless you've got a lot of aftermarket parts imo.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Originally Posted by GreatShamanGT
You need to get a boost gauge. Seriously, even get a cheap autometer gauge. This can tell you how much vacuum you're pulling, etc. You definitely need an aftermarket boost gauge. The turbo timer doesn't help unless you've got a lot of aftermarket parts imo.
It doesnt help because the turbo is oil and water cooled. But it cant hurt either. I say keep it, he may decide to go with an aftermarket turbo later on.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
Well the description is not great but my guess is either boost leak, stuff hooked up wrong, or blown turbo. I've seen some wierd shit caused by blown turbos before. I certainly hope your friend isn't driving it with lines disconnected.

ya beat me to it...i was thinking the EXACT same thing...if lines arent connected, there WILL be a a blown/seized turbo very very soon....that is, if its not blown already...
Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bryan64613
My friend was also telling me that the stock Boost Gauge doesn't even move when you are driving. I don't know if that means that the Turbo is dead. Well he actually drove the car to work like two days ago, but I'm not sure if he is driving it every day. What happens if you drive the car with the lines disconnected??
Driving a malfunctioning vehicle just creates more problems. Sadly, this seems to be the number 1 passtime of VaDriven members.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by bryan64613
DSM guys can keep me honest here, because its been a few years, but isn't the OEM boost gauge simply controlled by the ECU based on estimates rather then air pressure? A malfunctioning gauge in your cluster (I won't even refer to it as a boost gauge) can be caused by something other then a "broken turbo."
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
DSM guys can keep me honest here, because its been a few years, but isn't the OEM boost gauge simply controlled by the ECU based on estimates rather then air pressure? A malfunctioning gauge in your cluster (I won't even refer to it as a boost gauge) can be caused by something other then a "broken turbo."
That is correct. It just tells you a number based off the ECU calculation of "airflow". It's pretty accurate on a stock car. But as soon as you change the air filter it's useless.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by streetlamp
Why do you think the turbo sometimes and sometimes doesn't work (down on power, boost gauge not showing anything)? If its basically stock then you wont really hear the BOV. Does the car have a boost gauge besides the stock one?
on some models the wastegate gate actuator fails from rusting away....

sounds like the wastegates failing. or an issue related to it..

cel from too rich condition

Last edited by weldmatic; 02-26-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Eclipse GSX having Turbo Problems Help Please!!!