Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need a car

Old 11-30-2004, 11:15 AM
<3FreshieFresh<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need a car

I know about the AT drag trannies, guys... You know what I meant though.

As far as an automatic, in general, you're not going to have nearly as many variables in your ET's.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:53 AM
bring ding ding ding

Choodle has disabled reputation

I'm really not much for drag racing. I like it an all, but I like the turns a little more. Thats why I liked my last dsm, it would take curves like it was nothing. Only thing suspension wise on it were eibach springs, kyb shocks, and a strut bar and it came close to handling as well as my S-10 does. If I were to run a better tire, then yeah, itd smoke my dime through the turns. I guess with a shift kit and just a boost controller the auto wouldn't be so unbearable. I'm gonna go look at the ride on wednesday, test it out, and see how it is. It's all the way out in Narrows though, which sucks. Has anyone seen it around, supposed to be white 91' Tsi AWD with 3" catback and the rest basically stock. Oh yeah, and auto .
Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Choodle
Thats why I liked my last dsm, it would take curves like it was nothing.
You've gotta be joking. I know you owned an awd dsm which could be the only awd car that you have ever driven so you don't have much to compare it too, but dsm's suck at cornering. Trust me on this one I know. All of the other cars I have ever owned handled a lot better. If you want something moderately quick then get another dsm. If you want something for handling get a nissan or toyota. Something rwd with not a lot of power so you don't kill yourself while trying.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

I need to get a car. Preferably another DSM turbo would be nice. 1G or 2G I don't care, as long as it runs good. Let me know if anyone has anything. Thanks.
How much are you looking to spend? Reason I ask is that my moms 89 TPI 350 IROC is for sale. Since she retired a few years ago she cant really get in and out of the car easily any more so she decided to sell it if someone decides they want it.

Basic info:

Stock 350 (5.7) TPI
700R4 auto (rebuilt by me at 68k thanks to the factory trans pan developing a leak and puking all the fluid out of it while she was on the freeway which torched the band).
When I rebuilt the trans I used Red Eagle clutches and "thick" Kolene steels as well as the updated "wide" 2-4 band. New not "rebuilt" stock stall torque converter as well.
4 wheel disc brakes
Limited slip "9 bolt" rear diff (all 3rd gen f bodys had the 9 bolt with rear discs).
NON leak....I mean T top car.
Flowmaster exh (yes, my mom likes the sound of flowmasters)
"Electric Blue" in color, one all over repaint due to peeling factory paint.
Gray/Black interior
Power steering, power brakes, power mirrors , power drivers seat, quick ratio steering box (factory), IROC specific sway bars (big) and suspension bushings (stiffer than low $$ cars).
71k miles (maybe a little less/more Id hafta walk out and look at the odometer).
Nothing but AC delco filters, ignition, spark plugs, etc used at tune up time.
Two new Khumo 245/50/16s on front and rear 245/50/16s Khumos are ~half tread. Rears were on front and when I had the two new tires put on I had them put on the rear so the rears arent worn from mom doing burnouts, donuts, etc.

Car is bone stock other than flowmaster cat back system and Grant steering wheel (nice one not cheapy advanced auto $89 one). She hated the stock steering wheel, picked out a Grant that she liked, and I installed it.

Flaws: Chip in paint on PS rear quarter panel about the size of a quarter that was touched up (unsuccessfully IMO) by some knuckle head at a body shop down the road from her house. Dash has small crack in the corner on drivers side (ALL 3rd gen F bodys crack there). Stock Delco stereo sounds like ass to me but all she listens to is The BGs/ABBA/etc so it sounds fine to her (prolly just old speakers). Head lamp switch is flakey so the dash lights are either on or off (the rheostat part of the switch for dimming the dash lights is bad). I'll prolly replace that once I get the other kabillion projects out of the way.

$5500 firm and I can tell you she wont take a penny less. Please buy it so I wont have to do tune ups on it anymore (if youve got big hands and have changed plugs on a 3rd gen F body you KNOW what Im talking about) and I can get it out of my driveway.

Last edited by myclone; 12-02-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
bring ding ding ding

Choodle has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cootees
You've gotta be joking. I know you owned an awd dsm which could be the only awd car that you have ever driven so you don't have much to compare it too, but dsm's suck at cornering. Trust me on this one I know. All of the other cars I have ever owned handled a lot better. If you want something moderately quick then get another dsm. If you want something for handling get a nissan or toyota. Something rwd with not a lot of power so you don't kill yourself while trying.
My talon handled great. My friend actually wrecked his SE-R trying to keep up with me through a curvy road. He could only hit 75 without it getting a little loose but I could easily take 90+ through most of the turns. Couldn't really get it any faster cause the car was a turd, but still, it handled well. Go ahead, flame me for going fast on a public road, yada yada yada.

As for the Iroc, not looking to spend more that a couple grand. Need something with descent gas mileage also. Sorry bro.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Skinny White Kid

racinGSRstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

My talon handled great. My friend actually wrecked his SE-R trying to keep up with me through a curvy road. He could only hit 75 without it getting a little loose but I could easily take 90+ through most of the turns. Couldn't really get it any faster cause the car was a turd, but still, it handled well. Go ahead, flame me for going fast on a public road, yada yada yada.

As for the Iroc, not looking to spend more that a couple grand. Need something with descent gas mileage also. Sorry bro.
not questioning your car's handling prowess or your thoughts on it, but i'm not sure an se-r is considered a handling machine or anything

Last edited by racinGSRstyle; 12-04-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Skinny White Kid

racinGSRstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by L1LAS1N
as long its not a honda or ford i'll take it
well, as long as you've owned at least one of each and had serious problems with them while they werent in some atrocious condition when you took possession of them, you arent ignorant like most out there.

otherwise, all hail bandwagons
Old 12-05-2004, 08:53 AM
beep beep

Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie

Well I myself haven't erver owned a honda but ny bf (cootees) did b4 and it was nothing but problems, He bought the car in perfrect running condition. We didn't race/dog it and it had about 120k which is an ok mileage i guess. Within 1 year of having that car it had to gone to the shop at least 5 times. Even after had had to rebuild the motor/do a bunch of head work to it, it still acted up. So thats my experience with hondas.

As for the Ford thing...Born and raised a Chevy girl.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:55 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

buy a STOCK honda...it is reliable.

just get a beater (read:metro) and do what you want to your truck.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:53 PM

elementalwindx has disabled reputation

Thats why I liked my last dsm, it would take curves like it was nothing. Only thing suspension wise on it were eibach springs, kyb shocks, and a strut bar and it came close to handling as well as my S-10 does. If I were to run a better tire, then yeah, itd smoke my dime through the turns.

LOL OMG Ok your the first person I've heard say that....but then again I've seen 1st gen autox cars, and I drive a 2nd gen.... LOL

Quick Reply: Need a car