Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

want more flex

Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Piss off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nissanfixer has disabled reputation
Default Re: want more flex

Originally Posted by JDM74
I am aware of this but from the way it sounds in this thread a truck has no business offroad unless it has ZOMG 4-link suspension and a SAS.
i dont think thats what they are trying to get at, just saying if you want alot of flex, thats the way to go. IFS trucks just cant take all the abuse that a SAS truck can. i would take a SFA truck over an IFS truck anyday to build as a trail rig or a mud truck. but you are right, what all is the OP intending on doing with it?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

IFS trucks suck....I've seen them in action.....I've had a 92 4runner that sucked wheeling.

The higher you lift an IFS truck the more strain you put on the balljoints and wheel bearings.

What I've experienced and see on the trails, taller, bigger wheeled IFS trucks did ok on non articulating situations, once you threw one wheel higher then the other, tires started coming off the ground, no traction and lots of things starting to break. Hell I had to drive out of a trail with two broken front axle shafts on my 4runner.

My Jeep will out perform any IFS truck on the trails that doesn't involve thick stinky big rut mud slinging holes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by -JB-
IFS trucks suck....I've seen them in action.....I've had a 92 4runner that sucked wheeling.

The higher you lift an IFS truck the more strain you put on the balljoints and wheel bearings.

What I've experienced and see on the trails, taller, bigger wheeled IFS trucks did ok on non articulating situations, once you threw one wheel higher then the other, tires started coming off the ground, no traction and lots of things starting to break. Hell I had to drive out of a trail with two broken front axle shafts on my 4runner.

My Jeep will out perform any IFS truck on the trails that doesn't involve thick stinky big rut mud slinging holes

My Cherokee was the same way. Fucking destroyed the IFS trucks twice as big.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by -JB-

Originally Posted by Kris.Is.Foamin
My Cherokee was the same way. Fucking destroyed the IFS trucks twice as big.
I'm not saying that IFS is better than SA. All I am saying is that it may be enough for what he wants to do.

I was all about a solid axle swap in my Toyota but I took it to Crozet with IFS and an Aussie locker. It did surprisingly well (at least to me and the others there) for what it is. If went everywhere I cared to take it (I'm not into severe body damage and I drove it there so I needed it to be able to take me home). So, unless I get a trailer and a tow rig, it's staying IFS. It also serves double duty as the household truck making trips to lowe's etc...so it needs to have an acceptable street ride. That is why I think we need to know what the OP is planning on doing with the truck.

And, FTR, the picture in my signature was taken shortly after I drove my IFS Toyota around a TJ that broke an aftermarket panhard bar ball joint on that trail at Crozet. Yeah, Jeeps are awesome.

Last edited by JDM74; 01-13-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

I'm not arguing the SFA or IFS argument... I just know links and flex...

Ask me how I know... ^_^
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

doug18 has disabled reputation

if you have plenty of money to waste ... feel free to wheel IFS or even drive it lifted on the street for that matter
Old 01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by doug18
if you have plenty of money to waste ... feel free to wheel IFS or even drive it lifted on the street for that matter
Been wheeling it for 3 years with a trip to Crozet in there and plenty of street miles. No problems or money spent on the IFS. What's the issue? Explain why I need a lot of money for IFS if I have never had to spend any on it?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

doug18 has disabled reputation

I was only speaking from my experience with it ... 89 chevy k-1500 I spent plenty of money on cv axles ball joints and control arms ... not to mention the pain it was to keep it somewhat aligned ... besides all that disassembling it is a PITA ... and i was just speaking in general not at you directly
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Piss off

nissanfixer has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by doug18
I was only speaking from my experience with it ... 89 chevy k-1500 I spent plenty of money on cv axles ball joints and control arms ... not to mention the pain it was to keep it somewhat aligned ... besides all that disassembling it is a PITA ... and i was just speaking in general not at you directly
ive heard those model chevs are real bad for eating up cv's when they are lifted
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by JDM74
I'm not saying that IFS is better than SA. All I am saying is that it may be enough for what he wants to do.

I was all about a solid axle swap in my Toyota but I took it to Crozet with IFS and an Aussie locker. It did surprisingly well (at least to me and the others there) for what it is. If went everywhere I cared to take it (I'm not into severe body damage and I drove it there so I needed it to be able to take me home). So, unless I get a trailer and a tow rig, it's staying IFS. It also serves double duty as the household truck making trips to lowe's etc...so it needs to have an acceptable street ride. That is why I think we need to know what the OP is planning on doing with the truck.

And, FTR, the picture in my signature was taken shortly after I drove my IFS Toyota around a TJ that broke an aftermarket panhard bar ball joint on that trail at Crozet. Yeah, Jeeps are awesome.
Let me know when your IFS truck can do this and still remain level in the cab and not feel like you are about to tip over . I'll not argue that IFS is great on the street compared to a SA vehicle.

Quick Reply: want more flex