Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Turbo coming soon to a Prelude near you!

Old 02-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Turbo coming soon to a Prelude near you!

yea im probably only gonna run a boost gauge for now, then a wideband when i can afford it..
Old 02-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not use a sidemount IC? As others have pointed out DSM sidemounts and whatnot are very cheap, and theres enough of a variety of various sidemounts out there that finding one that would fit I cant imagine would be an issue. If you still want to you can use a WI kit then, however from my research I have heard that the holley kit isnt all that great. Personally I would build my own WI setup if I did it, its not too hard, and you can buy good parts such as aquamist nozzles, etc, and still keep it very cheap. As for the sleeper issue, if the car is only gonna put down 180whp in the end why bother keeping it a sleeper? Its not like you would suddenly blow doors off of unbelievable cars, you just would be quicker than average, so why not go ahead and have a FMIC. Its not like its something super "top secret" that no one must know about until thier V6 Tiburon gets blown away. The sleeper fad is too overdone IMO, everyone thinks they want a sleeper, but in the end no one ever seems to know how fast the other guys car is anyway. Honestly theres just as many ricey people out there who get a FMIC and nothing else, so to me it isnt anything. 3.63psi is awful, any thoughts of at least changing the HG and head studs or something? I honestly wouldnt wanna run anything less than 10psi if I tried designing a custom turbo setup, even 7psi just doesnt seem very worth it on a motor that small. A 350ci perhaps, but not a 2.3L. Not bashing ur motor, just making a general comment, saying Id try changing out the HG and studs just so you can lower the compression and keep your gasket from going at the same time.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

well its not really about "trying to go sleeper", its just the way I want to do it.. but I am going to try and fit a SMIC... I think the 180 whp figure is coming from a 3g prelude, maybe a B20... at 7 psi its common for H23's to be around 220-230 whp or so tuned decently.. Not gonna be going over that because H series blocks have problems with the ringlands cracking.. bigtime problems actually haha.. mostly because retards use FMU's.. I have thought about putting together my own WI setup, its really all up in the air, I have seen all the writeups on it and everything so i am aware of it. I'm puttin together a kit myself because its WAY cheaper hehe, and of course i get to choose the parts that i want.. turbo h23's are kinda rare, only a few floating around on the net atleast, I have only seen like 2 or 3.. just not a common platform, everyone wants h22's with vTaK! hah

It's only 9.8:1 compression so its not to high, and I would rather have higher compression and less psi personally, wanna keep SOME driveability, just don't want it to feel like a slug until boost
Old 02-07-2005, 04:40 PM
89silude

94silude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
As for the sleeper issue, if the car is only gonna put down 180whp in the end why bother keeping it a sleeper?
yeah, that 180 number is from a 89 lude with the b20a5...
Old 02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by 89silude
yeah, that 180 number is from a 89 lude with the b20a5...
which is still good unintercooled and probably using an FMU as fuel management... not sure how good that b20 is for boost, but it probably has around 130 hp, or maybe 110-115 whp stock, so 6 psi and 65+ more whp is not bad at all! I bet you could up the boost a bit and break 200 whp EASY(on something other than an FMU of course)..
Old 02-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Its not that big of a turbo, 9.8:1 is high CR for a boosted motor, try 9.0:1 and itd be much happier. Really with it not being that big of a turbo I dont see what drivability issues youd encounter. I run 8.5:1, MKIV supras fun 8.5:1, evo 8's run 8.8:1, 1g DSM's run 7.8:1. If you wanna talk gas mileage, I get 32mpg highway, thats on a car pushing more than 500hp at the crank, through an AWD drivetrain. You will gain more power always with lower CR and higher boost. I run 23-24psi on pump gas, have a smaller displacement motor, and I still see boost fully by 3800rpms, that means FULLY, meaning the power begins to really come online at 3k, as its an exponential increase once it starts boosting. I just dont see streetability as being an issue.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Registered member

damn I don't even get that good gas mileage the way it sits, maybe 29 mpg on the interstate as my best.. I'm just gonna leave the compression alone I think, trying to make this as simple as possible but still safe.. not lookin for a beast of a car, just somethin a little quicker than the mid/low 15's that I am stuck in now ha.. We will see though, its just the beginning of it really, I might add/change things as i go along of course!

I'm thinking the turbo is probably good for 300 whp possibly, what do you think? Not quite sure when I will start spoolin, hopefully around 2500, that would be nice...
Old 02-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I'm not very aware of that turbo personally, if you knew what it flowed as far air lb/min on a setup such as yours with whatever your particular boost is Id be able to better tell. It doesnt take too much as far as airflow to flow 300whp, a 14b can even do that one, you just have to be able to run that kind of boost, in order to get the airflow you desire, which generally means lowering the compression, or at the very least lowering the timing. And yea that is good gas mileage, up from the 23-24 factory mpg I believe. Ive proven the 32mpg on multiple trips back to Fburg from Bburg, so its definately legit.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM

smsalp20th has disabled reputation

good luck with everything man. if you need any deals you can im me on here. i have alot of friends who may be able to help if you are in need of a part(s).
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered member

yea well the turbo is off of a 3.0 liter engine, so I'm sure its more than enough for me.. saw the compressor maps somewhere but i dont remember, i think its on garretts website.

Quick Reply: Turbo coming soon to a Prelude near you!