Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

KA24DE vs SR20DET...which is the better choice??

Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 AM
#XV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: KA24DE vs SR20DET...which is the better choice??

Originally Posted by JerseyV
it'll hold the same as an sr20
Not stock. You have to build it to hold as much as the SR will stock.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered member

BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT

Originally Posted by blaxican25
Not stock. You have to build it to hold as much as the SR will stock.
well... basically a stock KA can safely handle 12-15psi with proper tuning at 300whp or so... the rods them selves are good to about 500 550whp... honestly all you'd need to have a 450-500whp motor is some new studs, bearings, maybe 9:1 pistons cometic head gasket and your straight... i'd get the rods reconditioned eventually, but it doesn't take alot for a decent build...
id get cams and a new valve set-up just to take advantage of the KA's redlin being that power drops at 6k or so... more useful power band and better TQ numbers in the end... SR's will hold maybe 400 stock if that
you cant go wrong either way they are both great motors...
Old 05-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

well... basically a stock KA can safely handle 12-15psi with proper tuning at 300whp or so... the rods them selves are good to about 500 550whp... honestly all you'd need to have a 450-500whp motor is some new studs, bearings, maybe 9:1 pistons cometic head gasket and your straight... i'd get the rods reconditioned eventually, but it doesn't take alot for a decent build...
id get cams and a new valve set-up just to take advantage of the KA's redlin being that power drops at 6k or so... more useful power band and better TQ numbers in the end... SR's will hold maybe 400 stock if that
you cant go wrong either way they are both great motors...

you're a little off with your info.

the ka24de pistons can handle about 400-450 with c16. pump gas, they'll blow with 200rwhp if theres detonation. I've blown up 5 stock KA's testing different things. Its not the boost level thats the issue, its the tune and power level.

ka24de rods are good to 400-450ish. I've only known 2 people to break or bend stock KA rods in the 450rwhp range.

if its a pump gas motor, go with supertech or ross pistons 8:1 compression. With a T4 turbo i couldnt stop my ka from detonating with anything more than 15psi on pump.

The cams are not the limitation in the ka, its the intake manifold. get a short runner manifold to shift the torque peak to the right about 500-1000rpm. Cams will move it farther but not as far as a intake manifold.

stock block SR's will hold far more than 400rwhp. i RACED my SR at 400rwhp for a full season. Sold it, and the new owner took the head off to install HG and the walls were still fresh.

i've come to the conclusion that for a given amount of money spent, the ka-t gets properly built and makes 10-20% more power than a comparable SR setup. I know cuz i've had several setups of each.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:05 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

SR's will hold maybe 400 stock if that
It is my understanding that they hold around 600.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaxican25
It is my understanding that they hold around 600.

good old enthalpy. put down 532rwhp and raced it against some people including a nos'ed ss. ping ping ping made that motor eat a ring land.

but lemme say again for confirmation. stock block/head SR with jwt cams, greddy intake manifold @ 15psi on my turbo kit made 400rwhp and i raced it for a full season. figure 2-3 weekends a month, 5-10 passes a weekend. And i drove that bitch to florida for a party, ended up racing some 600's and a singled supra.

Last edited by Greaser; 05-29-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

oh hey, looky what i found.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...=&fpart=1&vc=1