Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

teenager (under 18) racing.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white_spider has disabled reputation
Default Re: teenager (under 18) racing.

Don't get him a slower car. If he likes to go fast, he's going to speed no matter the car. The only difference is if he has a descent car he's going to think twice before he does something stupid. I have refrained myself on several occasions from racing people simply because I don't want to lose the car that I just bought. If you get a ticket at 16 for reckless driving, your probably going to get your license taken away until your 18 (had it happen to my friends). Just make sure that he keeps that in mind when he's driving. When I had the 1989 camry, the car was in horrible condition, so I took very little pride in it.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

Originally Posted by white_spider
Don't get him a slower car. If he likes to go fast, he's going to speed no matter the car. The only difference is if he has a descent car he's going to think twice before he does something stupid. I have refrained myself on several occasions from racing people simply because I don't want to lose the car that I just bought. If you get a ticket at 16 for reckless driving, your probably going to get your license taken away until your 18 (had it happen to my friends). Just make sure that he keeps that in mind when he's driving. When I had the 1989 camry, the car was in horrible condition, so I took very little pride in it.
kids dont take any pride in any car that is just handed too them. you can give him a brand new porsche and he is still going to do dumb stuff if if friends tell him to. a car that has better than average handling and brakes but a weak motor is the best bet. its safe and sure handling but dosnt have enough power to get you in trouble.
miata
sentra se-r
honda civic si
integra gsr, type-r

all super slow but super fun to drive and handle well.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by JJCrushALot
kids dont take any pride in any car that is just handed too them. you can give him a brand new porsche and he is still going to do dumb stuff if if friends tell him to. a car that has better than average handling and brakes but a weak motor is the best bet. its safe and sure handling but dosnt have enough power to get you in trouble.
miata
sentra se-r
honda civic si
integra gsr, type-r

all super slow but super fun to drive and handle well.
Miata-kid might try to be the next drift king and wreck
Sentra se-r-hard to find but good cars
Civic-excellent first car(was my first car) slow but with plenty of potential to be a fast/fun car.
Integra type r- way to exspenive and hard to find
Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Originally Posted by NismoSE-R
Miata-kid might try to be the next drift king and wreck
Sentra se-r-hard to find but good cars
Civic-excellent first car(was my first car) slow but with plenty of potential to be a fast/fun car.
Integra type r- way to exspenive and hard to find
I think a Miata is a good fist car since you can only fit a passenger plus it get's great gas millage.

Didn't YOU get a ticket for having too many passengers???

Plus if he wanted to auto-x it's the car to have, especially stock.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I think a Miata is a good fist car since you can only fit a passenger plus it get's great gas millage.

Didn't YOU get a ticket for having too many passengers???

Plus if he wanted to auto-x it's the car to have, especially stock.
I was just thinking with drifting beging the new cool thing to do, its just one more dumb thing to try. And yes I did.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Originally Posted by NismoSE-R
I was just thinking with drifting beging the new cool thing to do, its just one more dumb thing to try. And yes I did.
It is but, it's still better than street racing. Plus he might learn something trying to drift.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

temp2 will become famous soon enoughtemp2 will become famous soon enough

buy him a saturn, thats what my parents did to my sister hahaha
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 AM
.V

lLOlRlElN has disabled reputation

nature vs. nurture

you can nurture your child and advise on not street racing and doing the right thing, but nature will run its course.

otherwise buy your child a "shitty" car not worth being seen in and advise that child needs to pay to play.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered member

GreatShamanGT has disabled reputation

Where do I get a competitive racing license? Also, are there any tracks I could race on? or does it HAVE to be autocross?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by GreatShamanGT
Where do I get a competitive racing license?
One place would be a NASA competition licensing school, which are held at VIR several times a year. You will need a logbooked racecar (which you can rent) and will need to have graduated through the HPDE program first (which takes 10-20 weekends on average):

http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm

Also, are there any tracks I could race on?
Once you gain a license, the closest two tracks you could race on are:

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com (outside Winchester VA)

and

http://www.virclub.com (outside Danville VA)

Enter "Summit Point" or "VIR" into Youtube and soforth... and you can see plenty of in-car videos.

You can also do the HPDE's and/or time trials mentioned at the link above at these same facilities. Often during the race weekends, with NASA at least.

or does it HAVE to be autocross?
It doesn't HAVE to be autocross. Although a lot of people recommend starting there first.

The info at http://www.nasaracing.net will get you started...

Hope it helps,

Jon

Quick Reply: teenager (under 18) racing.