Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Work spaces in DMV

Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lumbercis has disabled reputation
Default Work spaces in DC/MD/VA

Hello!!

Brand new member here.

I just moved to DC from LA and I also just picked up a new project Toyota. Unfortunately I live in the DC metroplex and can't figure out what people do for work space around here.

From searching around on here and other sites, it seems there are a few alternatives:

1) Have a shop do all your work. $$$
2) See if you can find a shop willing to rent out space for a period of time.
3) Get several people with the same problem together and rent some warehouse space to store/work on their cars.

I plan on doing an engine swap in the very near future, but I've never done it before. While I should have some experienced help, it will likely take me longer than a couple days to do. Besides that, I wouldnt mind actually storing my vehicle more long-term if warehouse space was available as it's just a "fun" car, not a daily driver.

I prefer options 2 and 3 above, so I'm wondering if any of you know of either a shop willing to rent out space or an already existing group with workspace that could use another member? My preference is for something thats accessible via the DC metro (so including nearby parts of VA and MD). But anywhere in the greater DMV area would do.

If not, where the heck do you guys go to work on your car when you live in the city?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by lumbercis; 12-29-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Palming face

daveyfx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Work spaces in DMV

I thought you were looking for a job at the DMV at first. Welcome to VAD!

I say you make friends with garage-owning people a little bit outside of the city. I doubt if there's that many DC-dwellers who actually work on their car in the city.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Shut the Fuck Up!

IanR is a jewel in the roughIanR is a jewel in the roughIanR is a jewel in the rough

Hate to break it to you, but the car habit is really best left to the suburbs

i'm having the same issue these days
Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Hmm, how many people do you think you would need to make it worthwhile to rent some warehouse space?

In the city space is so limited that people charge over $100 a month just for uncovered off-street parking. I haven't seen any covered garages for rent but I imagine the rent on that would be a few hundred a month.

At that point I'd rather find some out of the way warehouse space in NOVA and go in with a few other guys. That way I could store the car inside rather than parking it on the street and have work space and storage for tools and such.

Anyone have any interest in something like that?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:36 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Good luck finding anything IN the city, or at least in an area that is safe after dark. Lots of space out in the burbs though, Arlington, Annandale, Fairfax etc

Welcome to the board.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
i dont care.

camelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these partscamelflage is infamous around these parts

i live in fairfax and am known to whore out my garage on weekends... ive got a few tools, its modest but capable..
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Good luck finding anything IN the city, or at least in an area that is safe after dark. Lots of space out in the burbs though, Arlington, Annandale, Fairfax etc

Welcome to the board.
I'm totally cool with that as long as I can get there on the metro. So basically nothing farther out than the Vienna/Fairfax stop.

@camelflage: that's awesome that you are willing to help out other enthusiasts. Unfortunately I need to do this engine swap and wouldn't have the time to work on it during the week, so I would need someplace longer-term for it to sit while I work on it.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM
canibeat.com

kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32

yeah..the closest metro to DC is Vienna. but you need to make some friends out here in the outskirts of the city..the ymight let you use their garage for awhile.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 AM
fraggle rock

kyle h. will become famous soon enough

Find a storage unit that you can keep your car in that is accessible via the metro. I've worked on many cars in storage units, no air tools though, unless you have a unit setup as a 'garage'. They are around, but might be hard to find around here. Call around...
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Hey check this out! http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...521510667.html

This is right next to my house in D.C.! It's got to be tiny for that price. Probably not more than a single bay with a lift. But damn, if I could get a a few guys together it would be pretty nice to have as a club house!!

Quick Reply: Work spaces in DMV