Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

amp problems?

Old 11-30-2005, 05:36 PM
holla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default amp problems?

i was wiring up my amp and i grounded my wire then went to hook it up and i slipped and bumped the spot for my power wire and saw a spark... i've been told i might have blown the amp and i was just looking for some educated advice on if it could be blown or not??
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: amp problems?

Well i guess u could take the cover off, and see if it looks burned, or damaged, etc. Also try hooking it up and see if it works or not. I'm sure others could evaluate on my answeres but this is just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
holla

i hooked it up and got no power, i took the cover off and saw some burnt looking places but my dad (who took like 5 years of applied electronics in college) says that its just bad sodering..i went to take the rest off and this nasty white paint looking stuff got everywhere so i stopped
Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you were hooking up the ground wire, and you din't have a power wire connected to the amp, then you most likely didn't do anything bad to it. If there was no power to the amp, the spark you most likely saw was either you discharging static from your body into the vehicle ground, or you might have just grounded any residual charge that the internal capacitors in the amp still had stored. Either way, I don't think you probably hurt anything. Have you actually checked to see if the amp works or not?

I'm pretty sure that the white stuff you're talking about is lithium heat sink compound by the way, it's job is to help the big power transistors conduct heat to the heatsink/case. It does get everywhere, doesn't it.. Wash your hands after you touch that stuff, it's not that great for you.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:47 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

well i have an amp problem too.......i have a pos American pro 600w amp......it stays in protect mode all the time......wtf is up? it was working fine and then i hooked it up to other speakers...was fine....then hooked mine back up..and it stayed in protect mode.....ive disconnected it..etc etc...idk what the hell is wrong with it?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 88 Si Y8 Crix
well i have an amp problem too.......i have a pos American pro 600w amp......it stays in protect mode all the time......wtf is up? it was working fine and then i hooked it up to other speakers...was fine....then hooked mine back up..and it stayed in protect mode.....ive disconnected it..etc etc...idk what the hell is wrong with it?
Check your fuses.. I had a tube fuse on my Hifonics amp that was not blown, but was disconnected slightly on the end, not visible.. My hifonics was not getting much voltage, under 4 volts, it constantly changed, cut on and off etc.. So after I checked my fuse and it looked visibly good, then I bought another amp, an Xtant. It wasnt until after it STILL didnt work that I found that the fuse that looked good was actually bad.. Ended up with a badass amp, but still a pain..

Check for that and make sure your ground is good.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 AM
holla

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you were hooking up the ground wire, and you din't have a power wire connected to the amp, then you most likely didn't do anything bad to it. If there was no power to the amp, the spark you most likely saw was either you discharging static from your body into the vehicle ground, or you might have just grounded any residual charge that the internal capacitors in the amp still had stored. Either way, I don't think you probably hurt anything. Have you actually checked to see if the amp works or not?

I'm pretty sure that the white stuff you're talking about is lithium heat sink compound by the way, it's job is to help the big power transistors conduct heat to the heatsink/case. It does get everywhere, doesn't it.. Wash your hands after you touch that stuff, it's not that great for you.

i hooked it all up right and got no power, im going to try it again when i have more time to mess with it. but i dont get it cuz it worked fine untill the ground bumped it
Old 12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

But did you have power connected to it when you touched it with the ground?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

jdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these partsjdmh22a is infamous around these parts

check the fuse that is going to blow first befor anything
Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Racetracks

Actually fuses are pretty slow. If the amp is hooked up wrong, you can easily damage something before the fues blows, fuses are only there for overcurrent protection.