Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Axle Help (I Think)

Old 06-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turblowedneon is on a distinguished road
Default Axle Help (I Think)

Well guys I have a slight problem. For starters yes it is a neon ok Im past the fact of knowing that.
Second Ok if I am driving down the highway (and this is the only time I feel it)
when I merge into the hammer lane no shake, just smooth. Well If i merge into the Right lane the steering wheel shakes like crazy. Only if i merge it does it............... if i make ....say a 4 or 5 oclock curve there is no shake. I dont understand here is the only thing I can figure out here is what happend before this started.
1. I put the eibach sportlines on it to drop it. Ok it did fine until i found out while I did that I some how cut a small place in my outside boot on the Axel.

2. So i took it to a shop and had him replace the outside axel boots, on both sides, well I noticed he took the a arm loose and the sway bar up front. well ever since then this shake has started. does anyone know what this might be, I figured if it were out of line it would do it all the time or not just when i turn one way. If the tire was out of balance it would have done that before. I just dont know If you have any ideas what it may be please help. FC you are the man you probably are calling me a dumbass as we speak, But your ase knowledge would be very helpful. OH GREAT ONE lol
Old 06-06-2005, 04:50 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Axle Help (I Think)

I don't know much but I don't think it sounds so much like an axle.. With that said, I don't know for sure WTF it is but you might want to try getting your car up on a lift and get underneath it.. turn the wheel by and see if anything looks like it's rubbing or wobbling or anything.

I had a motormount that was severely loose after getting my car back from the shop.. it caused an awful noise and vibrating noise.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Has a alignment been done?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by srt4hokie
Has a alignment been done?
no but if it was out of alignment wouldnt it pull one side or too the other or shake all the time
Old 06-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
I don't know much but I don't think it sounds so much like an axle.. With that said, I don't know for sure WTF it is but you might want to try getting your car up on a lift and get underneath it.. turn the wheel by and see if anything looks like it's rubbing or wobbling or anything.

I had a motormount that was severely loose after getting my car back from the shop.. it caused an awful noise and vibrating noise.
well there is no noise. have you ever been in a car while someone is putting lugnuts on your wheels with an air gun, it feels kinda like that vibration
Old 06-06-2005, 05:35 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

your explination confuses the fuck out of me....so that is useless.

if i drive it, i can tell you whats wrong with it. intarw3b diagnostics are not my specialty....
Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Ok at average speed of 55mph going in a straight line (no vibration)

If I merge into the passing lane (no vibration)

If I merge into the regular lane from the passing lane OR go into a slight sweeping right hand curve. (bumping in the steering wheel occurs)

I feels like it bumps, as fast as the wheel is turning. the slower I go the less it occurs.

Normal driving around town and under 55mph I dont feel it.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turblowedneon
Ok at average speed of 55mph going in a straight line (no vibration)

If I merge into the passing lane (no vibration)

If I merge into the regular lane from the passing lane OR go into a slight sweeping right hand curve. (bumping in the steering wheel occurs)

I feels like it bumps, as fast as the wheel is turning. the slower I go the less it occurs.

Normal driving around town and under 55mph I dont feel it.
There are no knots or anytype of iregular wear on the tire.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:00 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Turblowedneon
There are no knots or anytype of iregular wear on the tire.
Did you check your wing tipped axle nugget conjunction actuators? Yeah. I hear those wear out pretty fast on the Neon's for some reason.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:00 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

brinelled wheel bearing.

aka, someone forced it back together with an impact gun. five bucks to a fat mans ass that you will need a new wheel bearing. which side, i would have to listen to it (you can rock the car from side to side and tell which it is, but even then its not accurate till you check it with a stethescope. i have had RR bearings make a noise in the LF before.)

Quick Reply: Axle Help (I Think)