Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

10% Ethanol

Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10% Ethanol

Just retard the timing a couple degrees and see what happens.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

I retarded the timing, and it still run's lean.

I am using a 12:1 vortech FMU and I had this same kit with the same parts on this same car a few months ago. The car is definately not anywhere near as fast as it was before I took the kit off, and nothing else has changed... I have tried swapping the ecu and it still run's at the same mixture.

The thing is, fuel pressure is good... The A/F is the same at 1psi and 8psi with no drop or increase...
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
It doesn't matter what the octane is. With ethanol you need to run more fuel period. The stoich ratio for ethanol is much lower than normal petrol and more gas will need to be used. Although one thing I have noticed is that this new 10% blend does not throw lambda values off to any noticable degree. I've tested it on 2 cars recently and there wasn't much notable difference between that and normal gas. Normal gas has had some ethanol in it for a while anyways. That being said though...if you were to run straight ethanol in your car then you would need larger injectors and you would need to remap the entire fuel map to run more fuel.
Exactly. The small amount of extra fuel needed to compensate for that extra 10% ethanol is easily taken care of by the ECU and O2 sensor. The ethanol actually helps inprove fuel oxygenation too, helping to burn more completely which I think offsets the marginal smaller amount of consumption. Anyway, we don't notice any difference in fuel economy at all whether we run 10% ethanol or not. I don't notice any difference at all, power or otherwise.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Maybe it is not the ethanol, but I still need to figure out what is causing this lean mixture so I can fix it... I don't understand why it is messing up now when before it was running great with the same setup about a month or two ago...
Old 05-10-2006, 06:22 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

you sure your o2 sensor is any good? also i wouldnt trust a blinky A/F gauge.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I drive a coupe

Well, my o2 is only a few months old and I can tell a difference between the way it runs now and the way it used to run...

I know that the blinky a/f gauges arent very trust worthy, but before I took the kit off that thing would read green as soon as I hit any boost, and at about 7-8psi the car would start to spin 2nd gear like it was driving on ice... Now, the gauge reads almost all the way down in the red, and the car is nowhere near as fast as it was when the gauge would read up in the green...

Last edited by Hatch Man(GsR); 05-10-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Obviously your probably not getting the increase in fuel pressure you need. Ditch that fmu and get somebody to tune it using some real managment.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Currently N/A

EvolutionBoostin is an unknown quantity at this point

And what exactly does ignition timing have to do with the amount of fuel going into the motor?

It sounds like maybe an air density problem...it's much hotter outside now then it was a few months ago. I had the same car/same setup/probably the same motor and it ran much differently (afr wise) depending on the outside temperature.

Just my .02
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by EvolutionBoostin
And what exactly does ignition timing have to do with the amount of fuel going into the motor?

It sounds like maybe an air density problem...it's much hotter outside now then it was a few months ago. I had the same car/same setup/probably the same motor and it ran much differently (afr wise) depending on the outside temperature.

Just my .02
Being able to adjust ignition timing has to do with not blowing your engine up.

Warmer outside temps require less fuel. The air is warmer which means its less dense and less fuel is needed. So it doesn't make sense that the warmer temps would cause his car to run leaner. Unless he has some screwed up iat correction settings, but since he is running a fmu, stock ecu, stock injectors(I assume) setup then he is still running the stock iat corrections which work pretty well with stock injectors.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
SHIPRIDER

Vwgtimk3 has disabled reputation

well if you say your running as lean as you say then I believe that you would of blown your engine by now....10% ethanol isn't going to throw your car any leaner than before.... Its only 10 % now not any more....... I would lower the boost for right now and avoid playing the retard game that your trying right now because thats going to put a whole lot stress on the engine itself........

Quick Reply: 10% Ethanol