Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1998 Eclipse GST Problems

Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carforsale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1998 Eclipse GST Problems

Originally Posted by Heat
Ok, yeah vfaq is good stuff.

Cat CEL can be ignored.

BISS adjustment is a quirky thing. It's easy to do "quickly" but tedious to do correctly. Having said that, I've done the "quick" adjustment...screw it in all the way then back it out 4 turns or whatever a few times on my car.....but I just set the idle at the ECU anyway.

Fuel pump is probably fine. I was stressing fuel pressure because you said you replaced the fuel rail. A loss in fuel pressure can cause it (especially the difference in the car being warm/cold due to lines shrinking/expanding) but you'd likely be seeing other symptoms if there was a problem with the fuel pump.

Ok, seems like most of the basics are covered.

Can you describe more how the car dies if you're driving it (not at a stop)?

ex. You're driving around at 2500 rpms and you push the clutch in aaaannnndddd, what happens? Does the car stutter at all or just completely shuts off? Does it try to catch itself around 500ish rpms but fails? Can you give it gas while this is happening to prevent it?

Are you able to WOT the car to redline under boost without issues?

Another good idea would be to datalog the car when this happens. That should narrow it down a bit.

I'll throw this out there, although since you're in VB it's probably too far. I live in NN, if you're interested in bringing the car to my house on a weekend I can datalog it and we can swap IACs, etc. (mine has a crazy idle issue too, lol dsms)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuni...fect-idle.html
When it warms up and i drive it or if it is at idle it does the same thing. when i give it gas it will rise in rpm but when i let the gas go it will go all the way down to about 300-400 rpm then it will catch it self and start bouncing from 300-800 rpm or sometimes the rpms will drop to 0. I try to help it out by slowly letting the gas instead of just letting it drop but some times that doesnt work.

Ill make a video of cold driving and when its warm.

Originally Posted by white97dsm
This screams boost leak to me.

Check your recirc hose for cracks/leaks as well? BOV gasket between the BOV and the IC piping?

When I had my 99 GSX the Greddy RS gasket between the BOV and IC piping wouldn't make a good seal to the IC piping without using a lil RTV. so that is a potential location for leaks.

I didn't think I had any boost leaks once, after testing I had 7. Fixed (or so I thought) and tested again, still had 3.

Fix up a spray bottle of water and dish soap, spray around couplers to help identify leaks. Really helps if you have a buddy help out.

You should make your own boost leak tester when owning one of these cars. Quick trip to Home Depot and about $20 and you will have your own.

Good luck, hope you find your issue. Damn I miss my GSX
I did what vfaq.com said and they said the samething to make the tool and use a air compressor to build it up

Last edited by carforsale; 06-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Doing the boost leak test Saturday. Also i was driving the car around the block and noticed that it will not go past 3000-3500 rpm when i step on the gas, could that be a sign of a good boost leak?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 AM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

what does the car act like? sputter (too much fuel) or does it jerk (fuel cut) or other?

That's not a typical symptom of a boost leak.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

It does jerk. It's like it just stops at 3k rpms and sounds like it would if you red line and hold it there or if there is 2 step and hold it at the limit, it bounces but sounds like there is not much power. My car doesn't has 2step just trying to give u an idea.

Also it sounds like there is a dead cylinder, so I am checking the wires, coils and power transistor.

Last edited by carforsale; 06-15-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

Well jerking, caused from lack of fuel and a 2-step like condition where you have "more fuel" are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Do you have a boost gauge? (assuming yes...) What is your VAC at idle when it's warm/cold?

Don't forget to check the condition of the plugs (unburnt fuel) while you're at it.

aight pc
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Well turns out I have a bad power transistor and a coil. So I am replacing them. I also did boost leak test and the intercooler has a hole in it so I am getting a new intercooler. That was the only leak.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM
zOMG street racers!!

IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S

I never knew DSMs could have problems.....