Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1998 Honda Civic EX engine shaking

Old 10-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jzame001 has disabled reputation
Default 1998 Honda Civic EX engine shaking

today I went through a puddle that was probably 8 inches deep. I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX. Right after the engine started shaking, especially right at idle and just above it. It is has never done this before. There didn't appear to be any water in the intake, and the oil is clean. The manual transmission also started to shake whenever I would engage it. Any suggestions? It is a bone stock civic. Thanks guys
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock
Default Re: 1998 Honda Civic EX engine shaking

It's entirely possible for water to get into your intake and you not seeing signs of it even if you look for it right after it happened. If the engine if at working temp the intake manifold is hot enough to turn water to steam. IF water got into your engine and the combustion chamber, it may have bent your rods slightly and that is causing the vibration.

How fast were you going?

You said the engine is stock. Is there an open element filter or the factory airbox is there?

You wont see any changes to the appearnace of the oil - water will burn right off after a few minutes with the engine running. This is different from a leaking headasket where coolant mixes with your oil and turns it to milk chocolate.

Originally Posted by jzame001
today I went through a puddle that was probably 8 inches deep. I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX. Right after the engine started shaking, especially right at idle and just above it. It is has never done this before. There didn't appear to be any water in the intake, and the oil is clean. The manual transmission also started to shake whenever I would engage it. Any suggestions? It is a bone stock civic. Thanks guys
Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

You went through a puddle or hit a pothole? If it was an 8" deep pothole you could've bent/broke something suspension/drivetrain...
Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Layin Frame

dirty c has disabled reputation

sounds like its missing
Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

water in the dizzy, causing misfire-? i had it happen once,
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
water in the dizzy, causing misfire-? i had it happen once,
Very possible....

Originally Posted by Laserjock
water got into your engine and the combustion chamber, it may have bent your rods slightly and that is causing the vibration.
Prob more likely....