Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 Civic Overheating

Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chinagreenelvis has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2000 Civic Overheating

I just bought a new thermostat today in case it needs changing. Probably going to flush the system tomorrow.

I replaced the radiator cap. I'm not sure it's the right cap for this radiator; at first, coolant was definitely spraying out of it while driving. The cap was turned past being even with the radiator and I turned it back a bit, since then, no more coolant in that area.

I bought a new reservoir cap, but I notice that fluid is definitely seeping out between the cap and the hose that connects it to the radiator. Not a lot, but enough that I'm sure there must be air in the system. After getting back home, and shutting the car off, I noticed a steady but slow stream of bubbles rising to the top of the reservoir. I'm starting to think that it's a gas leak from the engine.

Considering disconnecting the heater and using block sealant to see if it helps, and I'll replace the thermostat while I'm at it just to be sure. Should I need to know for sure that I have a gasket leak before doing the sealant routine, or is it safe to just go ahead and try it?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

chinagreenelvis has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
wait, this is spark plug socket kid. . .

Dude, do you have any automotive knowledge at all? Serious question, not trolling.
Yes, I posted a question about spark plug sockets. Part of the reason I was pulling the plugs was to test for gasket leaks, though I was later told by a friend that the test I was performing doesn't necessarily rule them out even if it comes out right, and it did. By the way, the guy is a former Honda mechanic, and he had the exact same problem with the socket that I did, and we were both stumped by it. Neither of us could figure out how none of the sockets I was trying seemed to be taking out the plugs, and then when he went home and got a socket of the same size, was able to do it himself. We then put the plugs back in using my socket and our best guess was that the plugs were not secure to begin with; therefore it seemed like the wrench was not catching them but merely spinning them around.

As for your "serious" question, yes, I have some automotive knowledge. Am I a mechanic? No. Is this the first car I've owned in six years? Yes.

Since I'm coming here seeking advice and not offering it, I'm wondering why you would even ask if I have "any" automotive knowledge. Not to mention the fact that the question is insulting, regardless of how seriously you're asking it.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Asking if you have any knowledge is not insulting, it help other to know just what YOU know, so if the advice given is going to go over your head, or not.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by chinagreenelvis
Considering disconnecting the heater and using block sealant to see if it helps,
No. Don't use block sealant. It's an emergency fix that causes more harm than good.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by chinagreenelvis
I replaced the radiator cap. I'm not sure it's the right cap for this radiator; at first, coolant was definitely spraying out of it while driving. The cap was turned past being even with the radiator and I turned it back a bit, since then, no more coolant in that area.

I bought a new reservoir cap, but I notice that fluid is definitely seeping out between the cap and the hose that connects it to the radiator. Not a lot, but enough that I'm sure there must be air in the system. After getting back home, and shutting the car off, I noticed a steady but slow stream of bubbles rising to the top of the reservoir. I'm starting to think that it's a gas leak from the engine.
So what radiator is in this car, and what kind of cap did you get? Check the filler neck very carefully for any scratches or damage, or anything that looks suspicious around the seal area. It's also possible that you have a cracked filler neck.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
No. Don't use block sealant. It's an emergency fix that causes more harm than good.
This I hate pulling down a car and seeing stop leak clogging everything up.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Spark plug kid is a fag. Is fact
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

I would also inspect your radiator hoses while you have the system drained as dry rotted or bulging hoses can affect the flow of your cooling system. Just an extra precaution before you do something like changing a head gasket.