Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

92 Volkswagen Jetta Problems.. needs help

Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cas3yL0x has disabled reputation
Default Re: 92 Volkswagen Jetta Problems.. needs help

Oil was leaking from the back of the speedometer cable onto the instrument cluster/panel. No i am not car savvy i am scientist not a car mechanic. All I want is a little help with my vehicle. The wires are smoldering because of the 90 weight, I thought that i had already addressed that. Which would cause a smoke, which is a little dramatic on my part. it was more of a haze, kinda like smoking a cigarette but a worse smell. my windows are also down so the smoke was ventilated (its VA and 70 degrees)
The whole drive train has been replaced clutch plates* clutch* shift linkage* etc. (less than a year ago) the car has not been driven until the last 3 months and when i press the clutch shift into 2nd, give the car gas the RPM's will drop from 25 to 10 this is with my foot all the way on the floor but the gas pedal is a little stiff anyway. The gas pedal being stiff shouldn't have that much adverse affect on the power. Their is a power drain coming from the car somewhere and i was thinking maybe my throttle body.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

i am using 9o weight because it is a manual transmission. Clearly you can not use the same gear oil in an automatic vs. manual completely different tranny
Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Patron

bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen

there is no way for it to leak oil in your cluster i think you were having an acid trip

my advice is you drive it down 264 and smash it into a wall
gets the dumb hippie off the road and it'll get a shit box mk2 you ruined in pick n pull where it belongs.

Last edited by bustedfoxwagen; 12-22-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Originally Posted by bustedfoxwagen
there is no way for it to leak oil in your cluster i think you were having an acid trip
you'd be quite wrong about that, if the seal at the end of speedo cable isn't holding anymore you can definitely get oil feeding up into the cluster
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Patron

bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen bustedfoxwagen

Originally Posted by Niburu
you'd be quite wrong about that, if the seal at the end of speedo cable isn't holding anymore you can definitely get oil feeding up into the cluster
On mk2's the cable screws into the speed output shalt that screws into the Trans all o2o Trans are like that
It's quite impossible for fluid to get through both those and then work its way up the cable and into the cluster
Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

there's no grease or lubricant of any sort in the cable itself?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Patron

Originally Posted by Niburu
there's no grease or lubricant of any sort in the cable itself?
Cables come with Grease inside the cable it's self along the lines of the thickness of wheel bearing grease nothing to leak or drip on feet or fill the cluster

Hence why dealer thought she was crazy
Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Also to note, the trans doesn't have an pump for the oil so it shouldn't be under pressure.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

well in my tranny that i have in my car the oil did leak onto the instrument cluster.. that is besides the fact.. i just need help finding out possible things to check for a power drain problem. I know it is more of a drive and than diagnose type of deal but i was hoping that i could get a couple more hints than what i already think. Such as it is missing, i checked my spark plugs and they have no crud or gunk on them. So i need to see maybe if it is missing which i guess i have to test the spark on the spark plugs. My throttle body, distributor and its cap, would the gas have an effect on it?? It uses unleaded but should i start using an octane boost??? I am trying to receive help on this because i fix my own cars, therefore i can learn more. It is clear i don't use the best grammar and punctuation and yes maybe my sentences aren't completely coherent but is their advice that you can give that isn't about me doing negative things to stuff i own or myself?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

The best advice you'll get is to take it to somebody who at least knows what the hell they are doing working on a car. You are incredibly clueless as to what's going on. Honestly you're doing more harm trying to fix it yourself.

Quick Reply: 92 Volkswagen Jetta Problems.. needs help