Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

924x4 ranger with svo mustang rear end trouble

Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1sickford has disabled reputation
Default Re: 924x4 ranger with svo mustang rear end trouble

Originally Posted by 93sr-5ftw
hooked on phonics might help

hooked might help.haha
not yet cant find anything that small.lol but im looking for a 35x12.50 tire to get away from the wider size.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

An LSD shouldn't make noises like that no matter what size or width tires you have. The size only changes the axle speed difference for a given radius turn, and the tire width only changes the amount of traction you have (which doesn't matter if the LSD is working properly). If you put on smaller tires, one of two things will happen: You'll have to change the turning radius to make the same noise, and/or the tires will slip so the noise will go away. You're not solving the problem, you're only changing the conditions. But, the tires might have been the cause if something is broken. If something in the diff couldn't handle some combination of input torque, speed difference, and the resulting output torque difference (big diameter and lots of traction), something might have died.

I think there is definitely a setup problem, or something is damaged that is (obviously) only showing itself during turns, which is probably part of the diff.

Pretty much all gear problems should show themselves in a straight line just as much as during a turn. Gear mesh problems are gear mesh problems, broken teeth and all.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 1sickford
hooked might help.haha
not yet cant find anything that small.lol but im looking for a 35x12.50 tire to get away from the wider size.
If that solves your problem, that means your differential only works properly when one of your tires is slipping. That's not right.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

reborncx is an unknown quantity at this point

it is possible that the clutches in the lsd are shot and need to be replaced. they are also supposed to be soaked in friction modifier before installing, if they were new, otherwise they will be too grippy.

the other possibility is that they are not stacked right, stacked too tight (there is a min and max thickness they need to be) or that they have been re-ordered to make them extra grippy under acceleration and turning, roadrace stacked (its how we set up the mustangs and FFR cobra cars for the track). this will be good for off roading since it will make sure both tires are turning the same, kind of like a locker.

any of this will cause chatter, a clicking noise and very slight vibration while turning. i would know, mine in my 8.8 are shot and when i take turns it sounds like its ratcheting and i can feel it locking one wheel. my pore old SVO did it too until i rebuilt the dif, but that was back before her fall from grace.