Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

97 Car wont start

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94civicdxt has disabled reputation
Default Re: 97 Car wont start

try and test your MFI relay.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

xboxhaxorz has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JB@RameyBuilt
Was this before or after you backed out the driveway and the car cut off and wouldn't start? So it has started since you posted the thread?

-Justin
This was the next dy after i had backed out. Somebody suggested i try the spark plug screwdriver thing to get a spark which i did. They told me to press the gas while starting or use starter fluid. I did the gas and it started and stayed on, i didnt drive it though i just turned it off.

Basically 12/10/09 i backed out the driveway and thats when it stopped starting
12/12/09 i started it by pressing the gas

I am not sure where this MFI relay is and how to test it
Old 12-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz
I had an issue about a wk or 2 ago when my car wouldnt start it tried but didnt after a while it did and i drove home. Few dys later it happened again so i drove to advance put new spark plugs in and it started right away, next dy it started i was backing out of drive way it turned off and wouldnt start. I just got done changing the wires cap and rotor and i still have the same issue.

Its a 97 del sol si, i just had a full timing belt job done and an oil change not too long ago. I thought it was gas so i put a full tank in and still nothing.
Did you check the wire to the ignition coil? I had one that was corroded and sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. I tried a lot of things under the hood, and moving around would move the wire around, which would allow it to start. Needless to say, I had a lot of weird ass ways to start my car, but they were all not really helping.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Well most of the things you guys listed were covered under warranty so i decided to have it towed to honda. They looked at it and said it started fine nothing was wrong i was wtf so i checked it myself and they were right i started it fine 2 times.

I left it overnight because i thought it might not start when they tried again and it didnt they called me and said it was the auto air control valve or something. Cost $636 because its not under warranty. Does that make sense its the air valve and why did magically start without me pressing the gas?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If it's an idle air control valve problem, it's an intermittent problem. The IACV bypasses air around the throttle plate, which is what allows air to enter the engine during starting and idling. If it was bad, there wouldn't be any air going into the engine, which is probably why it starts when you press the gas.

Did you already pay for this? $636 is a massive amount of money for a part that you can easily change yourself and get much cheaper either used or new.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

Simple problem, better than mine at least. My problem is that my car starts intermittently and all I've been able to do is trace it to the flywheel/starter area. I think it's getting jammed or something.

Glad you got it resolved.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

try one of the 96 others...

ehh???

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH????!?!?!?!?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
ohh yea

integrab17 has disabled reputation

sounds like ur problem is ur main relay under the dash. (driver side) hopefully
Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by integrab17
sounds like ur problem is ur main relay under the dash. (driver side) hopefully
Doesn't make sense. Everything is getting power, else the car wouldn't start when pressing on the gas pedal.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it's an idle air control valve problem, it's an intermittent problem. The IACV bypasses air around the throttle plate, which is what allows air to enter the engine during starting and idling. If it was bad, there wouldn't be any air going into the engine, which is probably why it starts when you press the gas.

Did you already pay for this? $636 is a massive amount of money for a part that you can easily change yourself and get much cheaper either used or new.
No i never pay right away i always check on forums and shop around. Although i do need to have it fixed soon since its my only car. The intermittent explains why it started that time and not before. It seems to go for about $200. I dont think i can change it myself though, a tune up is about all i can do.

Quick Reply: 97 Car wont start