Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

97' Honda Del Sol Overheating?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Boost is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx
Default Re: 97' Honda Del Sol Overheating?

if it's fluctuating like that and "teasing" you normally means you have air in the system. Only sure way i've figured out how to get all the air out at once is to open the cap and run the car. Fill it to the top and let it idle till its hot enough for the fan to kick on ( should open the thermostat at this time ) and you will see the fluid go away if you have air and now you should fill it back up. fan will prob kick off because of the colder fluid and you could quit at that but I normally do it two more times.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Unlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond repute

First check the thermostat by letting the car warm up at idle, check for a temperature difference between the upper and lower hoses when the car warms to operating temp.

Another important thing to note is that if your coolant mixture is too lean (50/50 is good for this region) it can cause overheating due to the water boiling and putting air into the system.

Then drive the car, when the car gets hot, check to make sure that the cooling system is holding pressure. Lightly squeeze the upper radiator hose, it should feel like it is pressurized. If it is not pressurized then you have a pressure leak somewhere (radiator cap is likely).

If it is holding pressure, not overflowing into the overflow container, your thermostat is opening, and you have a 50/50 mix of coolant/water, and your car is still overheating then you have a problem.

One more thing that is important, your car should not overheat while driving at highway speeds even with your fan off because you are pushing more air across the fins than your fan could ever hope to. This is a valuable piece of info.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

gsrhach has disabled reputation

and fix the fan
Old 12-02-2009, 11:12 AM
HATE USERNAME

JDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the rough

I let the car sit for about 20 minutes on and then it overheated after the 20 mintues.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

You have been given a ton of info above on how to address the problem by people who took time out of there day to help you. Your lazy response does not help us at all..

Did you do any of the above?

- Fix the fan
- Replace the hose
- Burp the system

Even the smallest hole can cause a car to over heat by not holding pressure as said above.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
i like kittahs

UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag

You are in denial sir. I had the same thing happen to me this past may. I fixed everything and it still kept overheating"teasing" me. It is a blown head gasket. I finally one day was left stranded on the highway. That was when I finally stopped trying to lie to my self and my good buddy Unlimited Auto Care lend me a big hand and we fixed it and every other part of the cooling system. No more over heating. PM Unlimited Auto Care. He will point you in the right direction.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
HATE USERNAME

JDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the roughJDM SOL is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
You have been given a ton of info above on how to address the problem by people who took time out of there day to help you. Your lazy response does not help us at all..

Did you do any of the above?

- Fix the fan
- Replace the hose
- Burp the system

Even the smallest hole can cause a car to over heat by not holding pressure as said above.

I appreciate the people who have given me info on how to fix this overheating problem. i have burped the system many times. i have also replaced a hose that had a tiny hole in it, yet it is still overheating. i plan on figuring out which sensor is bad for the fan, so that it will turn on and hopefully my car will not overheat anymore.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
HATE USERNAME

Originally Posted by UberJag
You are in denial sir. I had the same thing happen to me this past may. I fixed everything and it still kept overheating"teasing" me. It is a blown head gasket. I finally one day was left stranded on the highway. That was when I finally stopped trying to lie to my self and my good buddy Unlimited Auto Care lend me a big hand and we fixed it and every other part of the cooling system. No more over heating. PM Unlimited Auto Care. He will point you in the right direction.
there is no white smoke. but i will PM him for further assistance.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Closed by request.