Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

98 Civic DX CEL - low idle etc....

Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Previously Odyssey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime
Default Re: 98 Civic DX CEL - low idle etc....

Originally Posted by gameoverr96
If there is indeed no cracks / leaks in the exhaust manifold, and I have 2 brand new O2 sensors, what could cause the Car to read "lean"???

any unmetered air will cause the car to run lean possibly a vacuum leak, intake or exhaust manifold leak, possibly a crack in your exhaust piping before the sensor (cant remember if your o2 is in the exhaust manifold or downstream before the cat) i would also go ahead and clean your IACV anyway because they will tend to cause some wierd idle problems
The cat is part of the manifold and the first O2 sensor is right at the top before the cat. I will double check all of those and see what I can find though.

Originally Posted by 00_civic757
no not all the time.....usually if it has a short or open circuit and not working at all or just not there period it will throw a code but if its still sends a signal to the ECU even though its worn.. 9 times out of 10 it wont cuz throw one cuz the ecu still thinks its working

as for testing it....take ur IAT out and inspect it. Clean the sensor and connector off with ONLY electrical cleaner and after it air dries put it back in, plug it up,disconnect the battery for 30 sec. , and see what happens. If that doesnt work then call a buddy up that has a 96-00 civic and take his out and try it in ur car and then disconnect the battery for like 30 seconds to reset the ECU.....thats the quickest and easiest way to test it
This will be my first step tomorrow before digging into anything else. Ironically enough, I own another EK hatch I can borrow the IAT from if need be.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will post what I find. Hopefully tomorrow if I am up for it.

Originally Posted by 00_civic757
very true but it wouldnt idle right if there was a vacuum leak and hes sayin it idles fine untill he drives it
Correct.

Last edited by Odysseus Prime; 03-14-2012 at 08:00 PM.