Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Air to water, or Air to Air?

Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Air to water, or Air to Air?

That queer connection is used on GM injectors, many coolant temp sensors, and some map sensors. It's easy to get. Every RC Engineering injector made uses that connector. It's an Tyco/AMP Jr. Timer connector (don't know why they named it that). Anyway, that's a lot of money, but might be worth it if it can do continuous duty for a few years. I don't think many cheap bilge pumps can do that, but I guess for the price you can just replace them every once in a while.
It's a lot easier to make high pressure than high volume, that's why fuel pumps cost less.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Why would a bilge pump not be able to flow for hours?

And once again, another reason the a/w is expensive, having to find a connecter to connect to your 140 dollar chrome bilge pump.

Im not trying to but heads, but I hope you see the retardation of paying that much money for a simple pump. There are many other solutions out there for a fraction of the cost. Everyone that I know with a/w's run their systems ground up for under 500 bucks. And not a one has ever wished they had stuck to a/a. But thats just my squirll forums talking.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

I meant to type down 81.40 for the pump, but i talked to a few techs and they say that its only really used for cool downs on vr6's for 1-3 minutes, and they doubt it could run an hour non stop. but it has an exceptional flow rate, upwards of 60 gallons an hour.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A bilge pump would be able to run for hours, just not necessarily many hundreds of hours. Cheap bilge pumps are cheap for a reason. But like I said, if they're that cheap, just buy a new one 6 months for safety.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
www.anchor-room.com

UNCLEBENZ has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A bilge pump would be able to run for hours, just not necessarily many hundreds of hours. Cheap bilge pumps are cheap for a reason. But like I said, if they're that cheap, just buy a new one 6 months for safety.

I have not found anything in life where the following rule doesn't apply:

"You get what you pay for!"

It might not be obvious at first, but in the long run it always ends up being the truth.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Racetracks

I agree, I'm a strict realist myself. I personally don't want an expensive engine grenaded by a cheap pump failing.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

81 bucks for a german made chrome bilge pump is border line with that thinking. The ones at marina's work on boats for years in all weather. Why wouldnt they work in a car?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:36 AM
www.anchor-room.com

UNCLEBENZ has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by litlespic
81 bucks for a german made chrome bilge pump is border line with that thinking. The ones at marina's work on boats for years in all weather. Why wouldnt they work in a car?
You work at a Marina now? Which one?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Racetracks

They would work in a car, just not the really cheap ones. If you get a quality pump, it should work great. I'd still not recommend getting a high flow one though, bilge pumps have really high rates sometimes, and that won't help efficiency at all.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

the bilge pump sounds like a good idea but temps in a bilge dont normaly go beyond 120-140 degrees and thats if they are in the engine room, and even then the water it pumps is usually way cooler. i worked on charter boats before i started working on cars and they would crap out every couple years. the vw/audi coolant pump withstands constantly coolant temps of 200 degrees and coolant system pressure of around 15psi for years. on top of that they are usually mounted in a very hot place such as next to the radiator or under the intake like the 2.7 twin turbo. ive never really seen one crap out, but the seal eventually leaks on a lot of them and cuases a coolant leak, but it should last forever on an a/w setup as that task is nothing compared to what it was designed for.