Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

All motor build

Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Team Doughboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MuffinMan7580 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All motor build

Originally Posted by ryanherington
I like how EVERY SINGLE part on a Honda is a complete piece of shit, but there's not one weak point on a DSM.

Not a single one. Everything from the factory is made to handle high horsepower.
That's why smart people choose them as their platforms.

J-bass sucks.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

ntenc1 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
Luck of the draw is only a small part. Most of it is properly setting up a vehicle, and strength of parts. Parts strength and design being able to withstand power is where hondas have their major flaws.

The biggest failure of this thread is newbs making assumptions and trying to argue with people who have been doing this shit for 10 years. You guys make no arguements I haven't seen a million times before. When you have been in racing for 10 years you see how things really go even with properly built cars vs properly built cars, you see the trends in breakage.

I was running 11s on a stock bottom end 4 cyl and street tires with a full interior street car when most of you guys were in middle school. 6 years later that motor is still un-opened and in another car still running 11s and still has OEM spec compression.

roll that around a bit and find an arguement I haven't heard before.

Really, this is a pretty dumb arguement, because 99% of imports and sport compacts are severely unreliable with a decent amount of power anyways. DSMs just happen to be some of the more reliable power makers. Above all else, the owner of the car usually is the ultimate determination of a car's reliability though. Some people it doesn't matter what they own, they will break it through stupidity.
I will start off with saying I have been racing for a little over 16 years! I started the import world with a damn 1994 sentra LE. I bought it brand new. I later swapped the 1.6 for the 2.0. It was a 14sec car, that at the time I was proud of by the way!

I later decided to get involved in the vtec world. I have never looked back! I now have stepped up to harder swaps, more motor mods, porting n polishing. I am in the 11sec bracket with a N/A honda. I recently have recently decided to go forced induction. So I will have to see what my new times will be. I'm hoping I will see 9sec. That will be a huge accomplishment for me.

I have been around alot of car building. I'm still leaning on a daily basis.

If you want to go fast you will pay the price. Some people can't afford a reliable race car.
I also know that to have a good built car takes alot of research and deep pockets!
That being said a autozone or pep boy's special will end up with alot of breakage.

So really you can't compare 2 cars for reliablity when one has custom parts and the other has autozone parts

So personaly I think a stock honda is more reliable then a stock eclipse! That goes for bumper to bumper. Performance parts that are not OEM can not go against the reliabilty of a manufactured car of any make or model. That is the performance parts makers that lack in reliabilty.

You really can't compare 2 cars built for racing for reliabilty! That is the first thing you should learn in racing. You don't build a race car for reliabilty, you build it for power. Even the best performance parts break. Reliabilty maybe can be extended with quality craftsmenship of the mechanic. If a performance part that is not OEM would not be the car manufactures fault.

Last edited by ntenc1; 01-29-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ntenc1
I will start off with saying I have been racing for a little over 16 years! I started the import world with a damn 1994 sentra LE. I bought it brand new. I later swapped the 1.6 for the 2.0. It was a 14sec car, that at the time I was proud of by the way!

I later decided to get involved in the vtec world. I have never looked back! I now have stepped up to harder swaps, more motor mods, porting n polishing. I am in the 11sec bracket with a N/A honda. I recently have recently decided to go forced induction. So I will have to see what my new times will be. I'm hoping I will see 9sec. That will be a huge accomplishment for me.

I have been around alot of car building. I'm still leaning on a daily basis.

If you want to go fast you will pay the price. Some people can't afford a reliable race car.
I also know that to have a good built car takes alot of research and deep pockets!
That being said a autozone or pep boy's special will end up with alot of breakage.

So really you can't compare 2 cars for reliablity when one has custom parts and the other has autozone parts

So personaly I think a stock honda is more reliable then a stock eclipse! That goes for bumper to bumper. Performance parts that are not OEM can not go against the reliabilty of a manufactured car of any make or model. That is the performance parts makers that lack in reliabilty.

You really can't compare 2 cars built for racing for reliabilty! That is the first thing you should learn in racing. You don't build a race car for reliabilty, you build it for power. Even the best performance parts break. Reliabilty maybe can be extended with quality craftsmenship of the mechanic. If a performance part that is not OEM would not be the car manufactures fault.
I agree with what you say for the most part (see my comment a couple posts up as to why this is a stupid argument to begin with).

However I'm just stating the trends I see among properly built cars. I'm not talking about pep boys specials and junkyard build-up fire hazards.

At the end of the day people are going to trust what they are used to working on no matter what.

As far as stock vs stock reliability, it all depends on the owner and the context used. A honda is generally gonna be babied as it's not a performance car. Give a stock DSM to someone and they are going to beat the shit out of it. So in the usual context yea a honda is probably more reliable. Beat the shit out of both of them and or baby them both and I think you'd see different results. I could go on and on about why I feel the way I do about using hondas for performance, but It was never my intention to start this big of an arguement. I really just came into this thread to make fun of madsteez for being a complete moron. It is obvious that you, customx, Jarrod, and some of the other honda guys in this thread are competent and respectable enthusiasts so there's no need for me to rag on your decisions of what to build, you're free to build what you want. I just like to pick on the ignorant morons.

Last edited by HighPSI TSi Guy; 01-29-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all

You know anyone with a 1st gen... i'd like to get another for a daily. When I First started messing with DSM's i didn't have the money nor knew where to get aftermarket parts. I'd like to see what i could do with a dsm now.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

I've seen a couple in the classifieds on here lately.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
I've seen a couple in the classifieds on here lately.
except they're always broken.... or "need to put back together"

and i'll say it again; lets see some these "built to handle high horsepower from the factory" DSMs run a couple "every part is a piece of shit" hondas in something besides a straight line. how many eclipses run at VIR?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all

When I was trying to build my dsm 4 years ago it was expensive. Which it still is but there is more aftermarket parts out now. Shit. I'm kinda thinking about selling my honda and building another dsm. (Won't have to worry about the dsm getting stolen). I don't want to put any more money in my honda for the fact that they are getting stolen left and right. All cars have problems eventually. It's peoples opinions. None of this shit matters. people want to go fast and have fun. I would have to say once you get over 600+ hp. That's a little extreme for an import. That's my opinion... It's late and i can't sleep. Fuck...lol
Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Originally Posted by zc91crx
except they're always broken.... or "need to put back together"

and i'll say it again; lets see some these "built to handle high horsepower from the factory" DSMs run a couple "every part is a piece of shit" hondas in something besides a straight line. how many eclipses run at VIR?
There are plenty of fast road race DSMs and Evos. Most people just don't bother because of the abundance of better RWD platforms for road racing. Hondas are not exactly the pinnacle of handling anyways, so I don't know what you think that would prove. S2000 has pretty good handling but it has no power.

The reason so many need to be put back together or are apart is because of the people that buy them. They tear them up and then can't figure out how to put it back together and then let it rot for a while, sell some parts off it, then give up. They are not an everyday car and therefore there isn't an endless sea of clean unmolested ones to start with like there are hondas. If you FUBAR a honda you can junk it and find another old grandma selling their grocery getter and start fresh. They are a car that is purchased for performance, so there's a lot less of them out there.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Originally Posted by 90lscrx
(Won't have to worry about the dsm getting stolen).
That's the truth... built in theft detterent! People don't buy DSM parts so there's no reason to steal em!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

[QUOTE=Jarrod;4936577]How many 9 second passes do you have on oem gears?

I am not sure before me, but in 07 I would say at least 15 passes. Most of them were at mid boost level around 23-28psi. Also it is the first car that I have actually ran at the track. The car has 24.5's on it. The main thing that brakes gears in a car like mine is the bigger slicks like the 26's which most people are using to get more traction.

Quick Reply: All motor build