Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

All motor build

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17 dsmx17
Default Re: All motor build

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
I think it's pretty much proven ITBs make more power, at least top end for sure. Whether or not they are worth the cost and trouble, who knows, probably not for your average person. I've also seen some interesting setups where people have ran ITBs INSIDE a plenum. See it more on turbo cars than NA.
e46 m3 has itbs sharing one main plenum.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

I think it's pretty much proven ITBs make more power, at least top end for sure. Whether or not they are worth the cost and trouble, who knows, probably not for your average person. I've also seen some interesting setups where people have ran ITBs INSIDE a plenum. See it more on turbo cars than NA.
Some RB-DETT engines have ITBs sealed in the plenum. The Sunny GTi-R Bluebird is an SR20DET with ITBs as well. Quite a few guys have run turbos on the AE101/AE111 4AGE 20V variants by making a custom plenum that mounts to the ITBs.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 AM

I never understood the point of ITB's in a plenum, at that point isnt it more cost effective to use velocity stacks...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Team Doughboy

MuffinMan7580 is on a distinguished road

I think it's mostly for throttle response in that case, but you're probably right.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dsmx17
I never understood the point of ITB's in a plenum, at that point isnt it more cost effective to use velocity stacks...
They ARE velocity stacks in those situations, usually at least.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM

They ARE velocity stacks in those situations, usually at least.
That was my point spidey.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

ntenc1 has disabled reputation

Nobody ever claimed DSMs were the fastest cars in the world. Just that they were a superior starting platform vs a civic for the average person's budget. There's plenty of better platforms for everything and you're right it's a stupid arguement, different people modify their cars for different things.

However I wanted to throw this out there, data from personal experience, for the people talking about usable powerband, etc.

Green line is a DSM with a GT35R, boost in the mid-low 30s
Lighter blue (the one directly below the green) is the same DSM but with smaller cams, smaller turbine housing, and the boost turned way down
The next one down, darker red, is a basic bolt on AWD Talon with a stock 14B maxed out pretty much
Next one down, the brighter red, is a K series honda all motor
Bottom of them all, is a stock B16 VTEC with an intake

Looks to me like the small housing 35R and the 14B would deliver far superior road racing or autox powerband vs the all motor cars. Obviously the big housing 35R would be a failure on any track that has a lot of tight turning, as it's strong point will be the straights. The all motor hondas just don't have enough power, bottom line. I think that was the original point. Adding a turbo to the hondas just makes issues more complicated due to traction issues.

Things to keep in mind - when drag racing, you will only be seeing a 2000-3000 RPM window of the powerband. On a DSM the gearing puts it close to 2000ish RPMs per gear
That's a good post man. It's hard to say what car is better for what purpose. It makes a big difference choosing the correct platform. That is a great starting point. You here of alot of honda swaps, but not DSM's.

This is one of my latest dyno charts from my civic. It shows you can make power in the civic. However it will cost you alot of money and time. Trying to find my chart from stock motor to show the comparison.
Attached Thumbnails All motor build-dino339hp.jpg  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

LOL I got neg repped by some faggot who didnt even post in this thread.

HondaRules you are gay.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered member

sleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these parts

shit, i wish i knew how to see my rep..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sleekef
shit, i wish i knew how to see my rep..
Its in your usercp. You can't see who it was though unless they leave a note. Believe it or not I gave lots of you fuckers positive feedback even after talkign a bunch of shit and all I got back was neutral feedback. wtf? what the fuck is the point of neutral feedback?

Quick Reply: All motor build