Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Aluminum/block cleaning

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Aluminum/block cleaning

Originally Posted by Cyanide Jello
What about using a brass brush or similar soft metal bristle brush?
That's fine, but you'll still scratch it. Anything harder than aluminum will potentially scratch it, which is fine if you're going to cover it with paint anyway. If you want it to look like stock, stick with nylon or natural bristles. Regular grime should get softened really easily with Simple Green or Purple Power, so the brush is really just for loosening and removing everything. The Honda block castings have a great surface finish that's really easy to clean usually.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
I can drink a shit load of PBR and blast with piss?
LULZ
Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

JDMB16EG has disabled reputation

Use Tuff-Strip...its a paint stripper for metal surfaces...It comes in a sprayable can. It run like 8 or 9 dollars a can at Lowes...Spray it on let it sit for 10 to 15 mins and spray it off...Shit works wonders...The metal will be so clean it could be almost to the point of polishing. Ive used it time and time again..Never let me down..give it a shot
(FYI) dont spray the shit on a windy day like my dumbass did...shit burns like hell on the skin...lol...Good Luck
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
I can drink a shit load of PBR and blast with piss?
Sure thing, boss..

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's fine, but you'll still scratch it. Anything harder than aluminum will potentially scratch it, which is fine if you're going to cover it with paint anyway. If you want it to look like stock, stick with nylon or natural bristles. Regular grime should get softened really easily with Simple Green or Purple Power, so the brush is really just for loosening and removing everything. The Honda block castings have a great surface finish that's really easy to clean usually.

I'll take this under advisement... I don't plan on painting it... Maybe throw a clear on after I'm done to prevent oxidation...

Sure, I'm a fan of rust... Just not in my bay or on key components...

Originally Posted by JDMB16EG
Use Tuff-Strip...its a paint stripper for metal surfaces...It comes in a sprayable can. It run like 8 or 9 dollars a can at Lowes...Spray it on let it sit for 10 to 15 mins and spray it off...Shit works wonders...The metal will be so clean it could be almost to the point of polishing. Ive used it time and time again..Never let me down..give it a shot
(FYI) dont spray the shit on a windy day like my dumbass did...shit burns like hell on the skin...lol...Good Luck
Will it leave a residue? I know related paint strippers like tal-strip and aircraft stripper leave a white residue...

I may get some and try on some smaller components... If I don't like it I'll save it for a hood or something >_<
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

when you use the tuff strip once its sprayed off there will be a little residue once its wet...while its wet take a wash rag and basically wash it with car wash soap. when it drys just take a dry towel or some thing and wipe it down...Ive done it twice...worked really really good
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

spraying something on and letting it eat is better then scrubbing with steel wool or a wire brush anyday...lol