Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Amp/Deck Help

Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru
Default Re: Amp/Deck Help

subsonic filter is basically just a combination of both where you can just filter out the "midrange" as opposed to just the top end or the bottom end of the freq range
Old 11-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

u need to decide waht ohms load your gonna decide to run with that amp and speaker set up so you will know what ohm speaker to order . that amp is olny four ohm stable in bridge mode . so if your running 2 of those speaker taht are 4 ohm each on svc that is not gonna work with that amp on bridege mode and support it . so you need to decide how your gonna wire it up first mono or stereo . then you will know what ohm your gonna run from there and waht ohm speaker to order to match to the amp .

check out the12volt.com for more info on omh load and wire set up it shoukld have all the info you need .

but if those speaker are availble in 8 ohm svc and your running 2 speaker then yes if will work on bridege casue the ohm load will be 4 then .and its a 4 ohm stable amp

Last edited by aacjohnc; 11-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Gr0dy
this is the amp im using for the subs http://www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/produ...roductID=91005

this is the subs http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113W250...09.html?tp=111

im sorry haha but what exactly does the subsonic filter do?
A subsonic filter filters out the frequency range that is below what you can hear. If you can't hear it, it's wasted energy and isn't doing anything useful to help keep the sub accurate and controlled.

So if you have a subsonic filter, and a lowpass filter, the sub will play the range of frequencies between them because everything below (subsonic) and above (lowpass) will be filtered out.

Like stated above, those subs aren't the best choice for that amp because of their impedance. Those subs you linked to are 4 ohms each (that is their impedance), and if they are wired in parallel then you will have a 2 ohm load. That amp is not stable at a 2 ohm load in bridged mode, so your only choice with those subs would be to use the amp in stereo mode (which would only be 150W per sub, which isn't really ideal).

So yes, subs which are either 8 ohms each would be a better choice, because then they would be wired in parallel to make a 4 ohm load (total), which would give the best power output for that amp. In that instance you would need subs that each have either a single 8 ohm coil or dual 4 ohm voice coils each (two 4 ohm coils wired in series makes an 8 ohm load).

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-30-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by dru
subsonic filter is basically just a combination of both where you can just filter out the "midrange" as opposed to just the top end or the bottom end of the freq range
No.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-30-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
No.
Yep youre right. Brain fart . More like just filtering out the low inaudible frequencies that the human ear cannot hear. When used with a low pass filter can only focus on a range from like 15 to 80 hz for the sub..

meh.

Last edited by dru; 11-30-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Gr0dy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by aacjohnc
u need to decide waht ohms load your gonna decide to run with that amp and speaker set up so you will know what ohm speaker to order . that amp is olny four ohm stable in bridge mode . so if your running 2 of those speaker taht are 4 ohm each on svc that is not gonna work with that amp on bridege mode and support it . so you need to decide how your gonna wire it up first mono or stereo . then you will know what ohm your gonna run from there and waht ohm speaker to order to match to the amp .

check out the12volt.com for more info on omh load and wire set up it shoukld have all the info you need .

but if those speaker are availble in 8 ohm svc and your running 2 speaker then yes if will work on bridege casue the ohm load will be 4 then .and its a 4 ohm stable amp
i have 2 ohm speakers , so it will be 50 watts x 4 rms for the speakers, im just having trouble with whats the best way to hook the 2 amps to the reciever.
I already have the kenwood subs and the kenwood amp hooked up in my car now running at 150 a piece i am planning on getting both new subs and amp soon as well , but the deck is a piece and the speakers are crappy so im trying to get the deck and speakers setup for now. So is the best way to hook the 4 channel to the reciever and then the sub amp to the 4 channel preout or the sub amp to the sub preout and 1 of the 4 channel to the preout and the other 1 to the sub amp preout?

Last edited by Gr0dy; 11-30-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Gr0dy
i have 2 ohm speakers , so it will be 50 watts x 4 rms for the speakers, im just having trouble with whats the best way to hook the 2 amps to the reciever.
Well, you have one set of preamp outputs, so you have one left and one right. So no matter what, you aren't going to have the ability to fade from front to back directly from the head unit. You can control the front/rear volume with the 4 channel amp though, so no big deal.

The 4 channel (Alpine) amp doesn't have a switch that I can see to combine the front and rear channels inside the amp, so you will need to get a splitter cable. What this will do is split your one pair of preamp outputs from the head unit into two pairs of outputs to go into the amp.

The 2 channel (Kenwood) amp can then be connected to the preamp outputs from the Alpine amp.

If you want the ability to fade from front to back, etc., from the head unit, you have two choices: You can either use the speaker level inputs to the Alpine amp, which won't give as good sound quality as the preamp inputs, or you can get a head unit with more preamp outputs. This is probably the better choice, as you should be able to go one or two models up in that head unit brand for only a small amount of money and get the outputs you want/need.
So if you chose the KD-HDR30 instead, you wouldn't have the iPod controls (but you'd still have the iPod input) and you'd have 3 sets of preamp outputs and an HD tuner. It's only $20 more. So there are options out there for the barely more money.. You're still in the price range where you might have to make tradeoffs, but if you go up in price you'll start to get everything you want with no compromises.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-30-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Well, you have one set of preamp outputs, so you have one left and one right. So no matter what, you aren't going to have the ability to fade from front to back directly from the head unit. You can control the front/rear volume with the 4 channel amp though, so no big deal.

The 4 channel (Alpine) amp doesn't have a switch that I can see to combine the front and rear channels inside the amp, so you will need to get a splitter cable. What this will do is split your one pair of preamp outputs from the head unit into two pairs of outputs to go into the amp.

The 2 channel (Kenwood) amp can then be connected to the preamp outputs from the Alpine amp.

If you want the ability to fade from front to back, etc., from the head unit, you have two choices: You can either use the speaker level inputs to the Alpine amp, which won't give as good sound quality as the preamp inputs, or you can get a head unit with more preamp outputs. This is probably the better choice, as you should be able to go one or two models up in that head unit brand for only a small amount of money and get the outputs you want/need.
ok i think i misunderstood how many preamp that jvc deck has. I didn't really want to fade it or anything , the remote for the kenwood amp didn't come with it so i don't have anything to just control the bass to the subs with so when i adjust the bass with my current deck it also adjust the bass in the speakers. But anyways if i get that kenwood 1 that someone posted with 3 outputs i can hook both amps directly to the receiver right?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

Yea you can.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered Member