Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

amp problems?

Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
holla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: amp problems?

Originally Posted by ecco
check your ground cable, if the ground is insufficient you'll have the same problem, if ground is good, then you probly need a new amp
well in the last car i had this in we took a bolt from the back seat to the body and put the wire there so this time i did it similar way and screwed it into a part that went to the body. what would be a for sure ground?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Because of adhesives and sealants that are used a lot in unibody construction, which can insulate parts of the body, the best way to get a good ground is to find where your main body seam is in your trunk floor and use that. There are lots of other places you could use also, if it's very solid then it's most likely a good ground.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Slick Shoes is an unknown quantity at this point

it sounds like you blew your power wire fuse. first disconnect the power fuse. second make sure you have a good ground, scrape away any paint. then make sure you have the remote wire hooked up to the blue wire with white stripe behind the radio. if there is no blue wire with white stripe, splice into the red wire. lastly you need make sure that you have the power wire going to the power terminal of the amp, the remote wire going to the remote terminal and the ground wire going to the ground terminal. (88 Si Y8 Crix this may explain why your amp is in protect mode). after you know that all the wires hooked correctly put the power fuse back in. if the amp still doesnt turn on, check your ground.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Slick Shoes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by accordin 2 me
... quickly touch it to your 12v wire, not exactly the best way but it works , if u do it fast enough u wont blow ur fuse
...worst idea i've ever heard...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
holla

Originally Posted by Slick Shoes
it sounds like you blew your power wire fuse. first disconnect the power fuse. second make sure you have a good ground, scrape away any paint. then make sure you have the remote wire hooked up to the blue wire with white stripe behind the radio. if there is no blue wire with white stripe, splice into the red wire. lastly you need make sure that you have the power wire going to the power terminal of the amp, the remote wire going to the remote terminal and the ground wire going to the ground terminal. (88 Si Y8 Crix this may explain why your amp is in protect mode). after you know that all the wires hooked correctly put the power fuse back in. if the amp still doesnt turn on, check your ground.

the only thing about mine different from that is i didnt scrape the paint off where i had my ground wire attached to the car
Old 12-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Hunter300zx has disabled reputation

do any lights on the amp turn on? where do you have the ground?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 PM
holla

Originally Posted by Hunter300zx
do any lights on the amp turn on? where do you have the ground?
i got it working today i had a bad ground...now sometimes it'll go out and if i mess with my remote wire it'll turn back on
Old 12-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Hunter300zx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by j4k3
i got it working today i had a bad ground...now sometimes it'll go out and if i mess with my remote wire it'll turn back on
are you "messing" with the remote wire at the amp terminal or behind the radio? if behind the radio, then you did a bad job splicing the two together. if available solder the wires together. if at the amp terminal. check to make sure that when you tightened the screw you didnt pinch / cut the wire.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

do you have a light tester if so check your remote wire from you unit. that normal has a fuse on it to . and if you didnt have any power going through the power wire than that has to be what it is . if you dont have a light tester advanced auto sell them for like 4-10 dollars. if you dont want to buy one then this will work to take a wire and jump it from your power source on your amp to the remote wire location on your amp to test if you amp is good/romote wire.if the amp turn on then you have a bad remote wire .if it doesnt then your amp is fried . does you cd players still turn on and your doom light for your car ? what kind of car is this ?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

what size wire are you using for power wire and ground wire ? whatever goes in must be the same size going out on wire size