Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Any advice for a 4g63 head reinstall

Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: Any advice for a 4g63 head reinstall

hrmm.... did you take the 12mm bolt out of the back of the engine to make sure the rear balance shaft was in time? (you can slide a crwe driver through the hole)
Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

thats a good step by step t-belt change.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Too each his own

awdsixbolt has disabled reputation

i have a balance shaft eliminotar kit on it, so no i didnt do that i dont htink i need to right
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Originally Posted by fubar_mdw
i have a balance shaft eliminotar kit on it, so no i didnt do that i dont htink i need to right
correct, i didnt know you had that....

#1 cylinder was up, along with the crank sprocket dimple when install the head right?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Too each his own

ya the first time, but the cam caps i put on where wrong so i took them back off and retimed it again, so i think the valves are messed up again, but they could have been before i even put the new head in, not sure
Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

ya the first time, but the cam caps i put on where wrong so i took them back off and retimed it again, so i think the valves are messed up again, but they could have been before i even put the new head in, not sure
yeah it'd be kind of weird to have some compression in 1 cylinder but not 3 other, especially since 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 rotate together. You can take the head off, make sure all the valves are closed, turn the head upside down, pour water in each combustion chamber and see if it leaks through over a period of an hour or so. That is a "quick" easy and diy way of checking without any special tools to make sure all the valves are seating.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Too each his own

ya, the head had alot of corrostion on it when i got it but i got most of it off, looked like some was holding the valves open a bit but i cleaned it out and it wasnt doing it anymore, i could do that though and thought about it but was trying to get around that, but i spose i gotta right, well ill do that this weekend shouldnt take long, but ya i thought it odd to have compression in the #3 and not the number 2
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

ya, the head had alot of corrostion on it when i got it but i got most of it off, looked like some was holding the valves open a bit but i cleaned it out and it wasnt doing it anymore, i could do that though and thought about it but was trying to get around that, but i spose i gotta right, well ill do that this weekend shouldnt take long, but ya i thought it odd to have compression in the #3 and not the number 2
it's sounds valve related if the pistons are fine as far as having holes in them (thats usually unlikely, but anything is possible).
Ill be out of town next week so I wont be able to help ya out. Just shoot me a PM on letting me know what it is as I am curious as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Too each his own

ya, the pistons looked great and the cylinder walls were clean and had no scars on them
Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

remove the lifters and manually collapse them in a vice until you are able to compress them with your thumb and index finger. then reinstall. this will need to be done any time you remove the cams. stupid i know, but go ahead and do this and let us know the deal. it can be done without removing the timing belt if youre really good.

Last edited by g S x; 08-09-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Any advice for a 4g63 head reinstall