Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16 or ls

Old 10-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delsol_rider has disabled reputation
Default Re: b16 or ls

how much does it cost to convert to ls/vtec?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:59 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

obd is a classification of model years and emissions standards and pretty much the higher you go the stricter it gets, different models have different obd's for each year, or set of years. different obd's have different ecu's and harnesses and extra sensors and such, some obd stuff is interchangeable, some of it isnt, you can do conversions to different obd's but sometimes its not in your best interest or it can cost a little bit more or aot more money, most people like to stay non obd or obd1 because there easier to work with ,for example, hondata just came out with some obd2 software but you have to buy an ecu and all kinds of shit through them to run hondata which is a grip because if you dont you cant use hondata on an obd2 car unless you convert because theres no place to socket the hondata in the ecu, but on non obd and obd1 ecu's there is, to convert obd2 to obd1, you get a obd1 ecu and an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness, but its extra money but alot of people do it to get away from obd2, another example to take that 91 motor (which is non obd) and put it into your 94 del sol (which is obd1), the easiest way would be to get an obd1 ls ecu, obd1 ls harness or modify your stock one, obd1 ls intake manifold with obd1 injectors, obd1 thermostat housing and water tube because the non obd either is missing one or has one to many i cant remember right now, any year b series hydro tranny,obd 1 ls distributor ,any year b series header- exhaust might have to be slightly shortened or lengthened, ls axles and intermediate shaft, ls shift linkage (or modify yours), b series starter, and swap it all over to the 91 motor so everything plugs right up and theres no headaches, or you can just buy a complete obd1 swap and all that stuff i just mentioned is already on the motor and bam, just drop that puppy in and start it up........

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 10-07-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex

Basically the wires are the same on all OBD's but just the plugs so who really gives a shit what it is. I have a obd1 engine in a obd11 car and all I changed was the distributor plugs.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:49 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

I'd go with both, LS/Vtec and then if you feel you need more power later, slap a turbo set-up on it. Expect 1k-3k for a decent turbo set-up on a Honda.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex

Originally Posted by delsol_rider
how much does it cost to convert to ls/vtec?
If you are serious about building one. Let me know I am making one right now that will be a back up motor. I could probably build one for about 1200 or less depends on the parts you get. And a entire turbo setup custom for like 2500. later