Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B16...neeed more power.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:08 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation
Default Re: B16...neeed more power.

Originally Posted by Jarrod
I've yet to ride in a car of that year(cable trans) that didn't have a grind.
Well you've haven't rode in mine. I think Enigma has, I don't remember.

Though I will argree most cable trannies do grind...it's not because they are inferior, but just that they are older. The JDM 1st gens are the worst but only because you can not rebuild those...so HELL ya they're going to grind.
BTW, I've seen a shit ton of hydro trannies that grind too.

I think that for this topic...you guys have gotten way off track with the spraying crap. Spraying is for one...not cheap! If you figured in the cost of the kit, then the cost of a motor or two...maybe three...ok, four for the extremely challenged...then the cost of the refills for just running it for six months. The cost and reliablity is just not worth it. You would of been better off using all that money and buying a cheap turbo and run stock boost.

But what do I know.

The problem with B16's is one, it's displacement and two, it's stroke. Who care if it screams to 9k. If you want more power, you are going to have to spend a decent amount of money to make something worth talking about.
The first place I would start is in the head...and NO I do not mean cams and springs...I mean porting by a REAL porter.
A Hondata, forged pistons & rods, cams & valve train, intake & header would be the next step. It could go on and on depending how much money you are made of.
I spent a little over 5k when I built my B16 back in 2001. Why did I build a 1.6 instead of a 1.8 or 2.0? Because I was a dumb ass and wanted to prove that I could break 200whp with a 1.6L

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 03-23-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:45 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi

Though I will argree most cable trannies do grind...it's not because they are inferior, but just that they are older. The JDM 1st gens are the worst but only because you can not rebuild those...so HELL ya they're going to grind.

I think that for this topic...you guys have gotten way off track with the spraying crap. Spraying is for one...not cheap! If you figured in the cost of the kit, then the cost of a motor or two...maybe three...ok, four for the extremely challenged...then the cost of the refills for just running it for six months. The cost and reliablity is just not worth it. You would of been better off using all that money and buying a cheap turbo and run stock boost.

But what do I know.

The problem with B16's is one, it's displacement and two, it's stroke. Who care if it screams to 9k. If you want more power, you are going to have to spend a decent amount of money to make something worth talking about.
The first place I would start is in the head...and NO I do not mean cams and springs...I mean porting by a REAL porter.
A Hondata, forged pistons & rods, cams & valve train, intake & header would be the next step. It could go on and on depending how much money you are made of.
I spent a little over 5k when I built my B16 back in 2001. Why did I build a 1.6 instead of a 1.8 or 2.0? Because I was a dumb ass and wanted to prove that I could break 200whp with a 1.6L
I understand that. Most of the cars I've ridden in are piece of shits.

Tim's car will be the first for me not grinding. He has a grind in 3rd now, but he wants that Quaife you have so hes gonna rebuild it while he puts a diff in it.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi

But what do I know.

There weren't any grinds from my recollection.. although the clutch did squeak once or twice.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

kevinoisme407 has disabled reputation

i will get ahold of the guy and get a copy of the slip what happend was he thought he was shooting only 75 but come to find out they sent him the wrong kit it was a 175 its not bullshit or nothing its true that is now why the car doesnt even run so yea...
Old 04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

LS/Vtec p30 pistons, ls rods, arp rod bolts, springs and retainers, and some buddy club stage 4 cams, and a 50 shot. shit would be out.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 PM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

how did I miss this?

Throw the B16 in the garbage. That is where it belongs. I don't care how healthy and fresh it is.

Build at least a 1.8L. Build as big as you can afford to build.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

Hi Skuuu has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SlowLS
LS/Vtec p30 pistons, ls rods, arp rod bolts, springs and retainers, and some buddy club stage 4 cams, and a 50 shot. shit would be out.
It's already built for boost.

When I feel like going faster, I'll throw a turbo kit on.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

what was the point of this thread then?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 PM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

Originally Posted by Smokeless EF

sell it.

B18>B16

all day every day.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Ammo Pusher

F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh

Originally Posted by Smokeless EF

Just like slowls said

mike just save up 1g+ and buy a nice kit at once
or slowly build up a custom kit and slap it on there

no point of going from turbo build to all motor build b16 then eventually going turbo cuz you feel like going faster

with that 1g ull spend on high comp pistons/rods and such you coulda just bought a turbo kit and ran boost and be golden

you have a great starting project
use it to your advantage

motor is built for boost = BOOST THE DAMN THING

Quick Reply: B16...neeed more power.