Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B16 swap question

Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: B16 swap question

If you haven't converted to OBD1 already, I'd recommend getting an OBD0 PR3 or PW0. There really isn't any use to convert over to OBD1; you can get tuning software for OBD0 ECUs, there just isn't as many software options on the market as there are for OBD1 ECUs. The chipping process is the same, and the OBD0 PR3/PW0 ECUs are internally almost identical to the entire family of OBD1 ECUs. PR3/PW0 were kind of an in between hardware revision apparently, and completely different from all the other OBD0 ECUs.. Think of them as OBD1 ECUs with OBD0 connectors on them, which is why I'm saying there isn't any need to convert.

OBD0 PR3/PW0 can be tuned with Crome and a few other programs. Hondata doesn't officially support OBD0 any more, but that's not a big deal with the other options out there.

Tuning is exactly the same for OBD0 and OBD1, and once the chip is burned it doesn't make a bit of difference what software was used to tune it. They all just make slight modifications to the same stock ECU program. If it's tuned, it's tuned, and that's all that matters.

Anyway, everyone is really jumping on the "convert to OBD1" bandwagon, and there really isn't a good reason to convert in this situation except for the tuning software options. That's it, and that's not even an overwhelming reason. There are no other reasons. If you want to convert, that's fine, but it isn't necessary at all and you'll come out with the same end result because of the almost identical hardware. Do the least amount of modifications and you will end up with the greatest reliability and smallest compromises.
I'm just saying that you have perfectly good options if you don't want to convert.

You will need to get whatever ECU you use chipped and tuned though, there are enough differences between the B16A and B16B that you won't want to run the stock B16A program.

Also keep in mind that if you get a P28 you don't have any knock sensor capability. You do with PR3, PW0, P30, P72, etc. Shouldn't ever be a problem if you're tuned properly, but I like the margin of safety from a knock sensor.

Why are my posts always so long??? Anyone else notice that?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-15-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B16 swap question

he already bought a chipped obd1 p28 ... so get a good map loaded and your ready to roll .. after you get rid of the resistor box and get that jumper harness..