Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B16A help...did i get royally f*d...may need legal advice

Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Blah Blah Blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these parts
Default Re: B16A help...did i get royally f*d...may need legal advice

to check for LSD you could do a couple things;

1.Sit the car on jack stands place car in neutral and spin the tires seeing if they both spin the same direction
2.Check over the transmission and engine most places stamp or write on them in some form of chalk indicating that it is an LSD equipped swap.
3.remove the passenger side axle and see if you can see straight through to the intermediate shafts input (if not then there will be a bar across the differentials opening.)
4. Call Steve at HMO and inquire about the purchase made by this shop as to whether or not it was an LSD equipped swap (make sure to give him a date range)

I would do one or more of these, especially with the tire spinning
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
im backkk baby

dsm2jdm is a splendid one to beholddsm2jdm is a splendid one to beholddsm2jdm is a splendid one to beholddsm2jdm is a splendid one to beholddsm2jdm is a splendid one to beholddsm2jdm is a splendid one to beholddsm2jdm is a splendid one to behold

well you can buy a fisrt gen b16 for 850, as you said 10 hp and about a grand cheaper. as far as the cold idle every honda/acura has the cold idle, 05 rsx with 25k does it and my ls coupe does it not to big a deal. now what does the paper work say becuse if that is not spec. your boned. only way youd have a case is if it says hes selling you a obd2 b16a2 blaw blaw or del sol b16a3 what ever you ordered.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

hondadude_rudo is an unknown quantity at this point

looking closely at the pics, it seems as if the throttle body has been changed at some point in time. you mechanic may have possibly used the single cam throttle body on your b16 for some unknown reason, which could explain why none of the new b16 ones you have ordered have fit. the intake manifold on it is the 92-98 style (99-00 dont have the iat sensor in the manifold), the fuel rail is the 92 and up machined style one, not the cast one found on obd0 engines. it has a 96 and newer style valve cover (the older ones have vtec written smaller and dohc written larger. given these points, im pretty certain that you have at least a 92 and newer engine. i doubt that your mechanic would have went through the trouble to buy an 0bdo engine and put all of the newer parts on it. it is very possible that it is a 96+ jdm sir2 engine. that throttle body just realy sticks out though. the nuts on it look boogered up like it has been taken off, that and it seems alot dirtier then the rest of the engine which is quite odd unless its not the origional tb

Last edited by hondadude_rudo; 02-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:44 AM
FS/Dope Status troll

STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER

idle prob is easy fix, take the plate that faces the firewall with the 2 8mm screws, off of the fast idle valve (the one under the throttle body not to be confused with the iac on the back of the intake manifold). turn the big plastic piece in clockwise until it stops, put the plate back on, problem fixed unless you have a vacumn leak somewhere. as for the motor you only got ripped off if you didnt get the lsd trans. spin one wheel with the car off the ground if the spin in the same direction youi have lsd.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Registered member

derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda

i'm 99% sure of what motor i have in the car, and i tried bypassing the FTV but the car wouldn't stay running...could be the cold. i would have to sit in the car and give it enough gas to stay running until it warmed up. looking at a picture of my old d series, the intake mani could be the old one from the single cam...and i would go outside and compare the picture to whats on the car, but theres a ft of snow lawlz. at this point i really dont care that much anymore about the idle. i can wait 10 min for it to warm up. i have not yet jacked up the front of the car to see if it is truly lsd but im certain it is by the way it drives. and about the ecu, it has to be modified if you say that the p28 has a rev limiter at 7200 because i have definitely hit 8000 before and still no limiter kicked in.

all in all im not too worried about the whole situation anymore. it's a good clean swap, its strong and reliable and all that blah blah blah, just has a weird idle for a few minutes. ooooh well.

thanks for all the replies everyone! you guys have really helped me out here.
-Derek
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

Originally Posted by derekuda
i'm 99% sure of what motor i have in the car, and i tried bypassing the FTV but the car wouldn't stay running...could be the cold. i would have to sit in the car and give it enough gas to stay running until it warmed up. looking at a picture of my old d series, the intake mani could be the old one from the single cam...and i would go outside and compare the picture to whats on the car, but theres a ft of snow lawlz. at this point i really dont care that much anymore about the idle. i can wait 10 min for it to warm up. i have not yet jacked up the front of the car to see if it is truly lsd but im certain it is by the way it drives. and about the ecu, it has to be modified if you say that the p28 has a rev limiter at 7200 because i have definitely hit 8000 before and still no limiter kicked in.

all in all im not too worried about the whole situation anymore. it's a good clean swap, its strong and reliable and all that blah blah blah, just has a weird idle for a few minutes. ooooh well.

thanks for all the replies everyone! you guys have really helped me out here.
-Derek
Did you remember to seal up the openings after bypassing the FITV?

Last edited by crxmadness; 02-10-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned

92civic has disabled reputation

OK so the motor you got and the price is about couple hundred dollars off but really you have a jdm motor rather than the us spec b16a2 so ur mechanic didnt rip u off man and if you can find a obd1 full swap for less with lsd than its stolen so i wouldnt be worried the price you paid is reasonable man and as for the fast idle control valve people block those off man it just makes things easier because you always burn holes right through the fittings for the hoses which is what makes them go bad most the time hopefully this helps
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sweet, all that and not a single bit of punctuation.