Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b18c valve cover ground holes

Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I <3 MY EG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation
Default Re: b18c valve cover ground holes

I run no valvecover ground and have no problems at all, if anything it would be better to make another ground from the frame to the block directly... but I also have a 4gauge ground to the trans from the frame
Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The valve cover ground is a local ground for the head that helps with ignition system performance and noise. You might think you have no problems, but you can't "see" electrical noise or anything like that. The head ground may not be strictly necessary, but I'd much rather have it then do without because of laziness or whatever. The concept that you think everything works perfectly because you "have no problems at all" doesn't really fly.

Put it this way: The electrical connection between the head and block is through the head gasket and the steel head studs. The local head ground is an improvement over that interface, and also means that there won't be much difference in potential between the top of the head and the transmission ground. The spark plugs are in the head, so the local ground is a good idea. It's also a short ground cable, which is ideal. You have to realize that ground is not ground is not ground, and there can be large transient differences in voltage potential between different parts of the chassis and engine that are all "grounded". So you can remove whatever grounds you want, but I'll choose better performance.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

tcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, theres no doubt in my mind about having the ground. I just want to know what this other hole is for!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by tcraven92
Yea, theres no doubt in my mind about having the ground. I just want to know what this other hole is for!
It might be an optional bracket hole, or maybe a lift hole that's used during engine assembly. I don't think I've seen it used before for anything, can't remember though.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tcraven92
thanks for the picture, but my valve cover is for a jdm b18c and that power steering hole is on the back of valve cover, not the front. Now where the ground is on this picture is one of the holes, but there is another hole that is shown in picture about 2 inches down and 1 inch to the left. It is colored silver in the picture. That is what I am trying to figure out.
the picture posted is a jdm car...notice the throttle cable running in front of the engine and the brake mc on the top left?

running your ground on the valve cover bolt hole or the tower piece it dosn't matter its going to be teh same purpase it just transfers it to the body of the car through anywhere you want to put it is fine everyone has their preference
Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

tcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo yea and the radiator support has jdm stamp. Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Home Wrecker

allmotorcrx has disabled reputation

Sorry guys but grounding the valve cover does absolutely nothing for you. It is seperated from the head with a rubber gasket. Ground it directly to the head, whether it be a header bolt or a/c p/s its doing much more than at the valve cover.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by allmotorcrx
Sorry guys but grounding the valve cover does absolutely nothing for you. It is seperated from the head with a rubber gasket.
You're not grounding the valve cover, you're grounding the head. The stud that the ground cable attaches to is threaded into the head, not the valve cover. The valve cover doesn't matter at all.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Home Wrecker

allmotorcrx has disabled reputation

For being a rocket scientist your not making sense. Grounding directly to the head is much more efficent, the little 8mm bolt isn't going to provide as good of ground. Just sayin
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by allmotorcrx
For being a rocket scientist your not making sense. Grounding directly to the head is much more efficent, the little 8mm bolt isn't going to provide as good of ground. Just sayin
You're doing the exact same thing using a head bolt, A/C bolt, power steering bolt, etc, like you were suggesting above. With any of those you still have an electrical interface between dissimilar metals, which isn't a reliable ground path. So the primary ground path is still through the stud or bolt. With the valve cover stud, it's a short bolt.

Also, the 8mm stud is larger than the cable that attaches to it. So you're trying to argue that a short stud that is larger than the ground cable is a poor grounding point.

Quick Reply: b18c valve cover ground holes