Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B18C1 overheating. ??'s

Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grant90 has disabled reputation
Default Re: B18C1 overheating. ??'s

I saw the needle progressively climb to the red coupled with an excesive amount of mist from the radiator and I immediately shut the car off. The next day I replaced the hose, and saw the same problem. I'm not to knowledgeable about the whole cooling/radiator side of mechanics so I decided to let someone who knew what they were doing look at it.
Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Did you actually see that the car is overheating, or are you just assuming it did because you had a random hose failure?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I personally checked the hoses and got some insight from someone and they said that the hoses were very old and shoulda been replaced with the swap. I should have some news today and I'm definitely planning on a new radiator.
Originally Posted by nomurstock
As stated, make sure that the vehicle is overheating and you have checked your hoses thermostat and radiator. I had to fork out money for a Koyo radiator, because my GSR in my Del Sol was overheating. It helped a tremendous amount. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

The hose was replaced and still have the same problem.
Originally Posted by VB2NER
I love how misinformation is spread so fast. LOL to the technical abilities most people on this site

Listen to fabrik8, he is like the wizard

Your hose was old. Replace it an move on.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check to see that the fans are turning on. This entire problem may be as simple as a bad fan thermo switch. They like to fail. The fans should be turning on at idle when the engine is warmed up, well before the temp gauge starts climbing above normal. So get the engine warmed up, then let it idle while keeping an eye on the temp gauge.

Could be a faulty thermostat also.

Is there any difference in behavior during a hot day versus driving at night when it's cooler out?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

The fan wasn't turning on. The busted hose was most likely due to the bad fan switch. The shop said everything is working out fine, but when I get the car back I may take it over to Honda to have them look over everything just for a second opinion. I'd rather not have to tow my car again. I didn't notice any differences between day and night driving besides about 2 weeks after I got the car it took FOREVER to start, but I haven't had a problem with that since.
Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Check to see that the fans are turning on. This entire problem may be as simple as a bad fan thermo switch. They like to fail. The fans should be turning on at idle when the engine is warmed up, well before the temp gauge starts climbing above normal. So get the engine warmed up, then let it idle while keeping an eye on the temp gauge.

Could be a faulty thermostat also.

Is there any difference in behavior during a hot day versus driving at night when it's cooler out?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 AM

SSHICK is an unknown quantity at this point

Replace the thermostat. It's cheap and easy. Make sure you bleed the system after it's been open. Could cause the coolant to not flow properly.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

disisaghettosn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by grant90
The fan wasn't turning on. The busted hose was most likely due to the bad fan switch. The shop said everything is working out fine, but when I get the car back I may take it over to Honda to have them look over everything just for a second opinion...
Originally Posted by SSHICK
Replace the thermostat. It's cheap and easy. Make sure you bleed the system after it's been open. Could cause the coolant to not flow properly.

Also if your going to get a second opinion why did you spend time/money taking it to a shop that you don't trust, why wouldn't you just tow it to Honda in the first place?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Registered member

emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1

there are many things to check before assuming the headgasket is blown.

Last edited by emgjsdk1; 08-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Apparently everyone missed the part where he said the problem was fixed.

OP, PM me if you would like the thread re-opened.