Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b20/vtec ?

Old 09-22-2008 | 07:36 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve
Default Re: b20/vtec ?

Originally Posted by xeno
so what do people typically do to reduce the compression so they can boost? pistons and turbo cams?
Headgasket, pistons, etc.

Originally Posted by 1_sikteg
you also need to know if you are going to use a b20b or b20z block cause the b20z has higher compression
Agreed.

You should defintely sleeve it first.
Old 09-22-2008 | 07:41 AM
Registered Member

xeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond repute

why would you need to sleeve a moderatly boosted bottom end thats brand new? i dont plan to go above 10-12 psi ... ever. i was told that that myth about the b20 having weaker walls than any other b series motor is bullshit and with a good tune it should be no problem running stock cylinders...

Last edited by xeno; 09-22-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2008 | 08:29 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

I like having peace of mind. It's your motor, it's my opinion, it is what it is.
Old 09-22-2008 | 01:53 PM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

the b20 has a open deck that doesn't do too well under boost and is worse with a vtec head
Old 09-22-2008 | 03:01 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by goob
the gsr head on the b20 block is gonna raise to some where around 12 something...to where the b16 or type-r will be around 11...bc the gsr has smaller combustion chambers then the b16/r...
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php
this site says its 10.14:1 compression. b20z block (phk pistons not p3f). gsr head. stock thickness headgasket. oem b20 deck hieght. where did you see that info?

Last edited by tatmonster; 09-22-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2008 | 03:43 PM
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

its not just the calculation.... when do you have that high of compression with a stock motor? ...regardless of the combustion chambers on the gsr giving a higher compression.

that guy must have been confused
Old 09-23-2008 | 03:59 AM
Registered Member

xeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt do to well under boost ... i talk to a guy on here ran 12 psi on stock b20 with a good tune for 10,000 miles ... then sold the car and its still running good. so i'd have to say its all in the tune, but i agree it is a good idea to sleeve a block if you want to run like 25 psi ....
Old 09-23-2008 | 02:48 PM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

10k miles is nothing!!!!! and sometimes you have a good running one and others you have bad running ones.
Old 09-23-2008 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Non-Spell
10k miles is nothing!!!!! and sometimes you have a good running one and others you have bad running ones.
Agreed. Ive seen some b20s run awesome and have plenty of power and then others that feel less than an LS. Guess its luck of the draw almost when you get what you ordered. 10k miles is very little time to see how well a motor is going to last in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2008 | 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hatchblack
its not just the calculation.... when do you have that high of compression with a stock motor? ...regardless of the combustion chambers on the gsr giving a higher compression.

that guy must have been confused
unless he changes the pistons out, i dont see the compression going that high.

Quick Reply: b20/vtec ?