Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B20b swap issues?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Stiff Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock
Default Re: B20b swap issues?

Originally Posted by boredom
its pretty clear that its a fuel issue,
Agreed. Now is it related to insufficient flow or the injectors opening/closing too long, too little, too early, too late.

I wont go into timing yet.

and as previously stated the fuel pump should have been changed when the new motor went in.
If it's a bad fuel pump, why would it run "OK" under hard throttle when the demand for fuel is greater?

bad injectors are the simplest thing to check, but seeing how they should be aftermarket...
why?, d-series, b- series, all use THE SAME SIZE 240CC injectors.

next, how often do people really change out the fuel filter?
you have a point there, it is a 200K mile chassis

most times the feed line is brittle and will crack with the slightest pressure so people dont bother and cars run fine. the map is a likely source, but iirc OP is trying to source a generic b20v map.
?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

drtbiker4lyf has disabled reputation

I really appreciate all the feedback. So from what ive gathered so far.... its either the ECU map or a fuel issue? Fuel issue I can I can figure out. But the ECU completely throws me. I have no idea about any of that. I have no idea where to start, what I would even need or be looking for
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI

Originally Posted by drtbiker4lyf
I really appreciate all the feedback. So from what ive gathered so far.... its either the ECU map or a fuel issue? Fuel issue I can I can figure out. But the ECU completely throws me. I have no idea about any of that. I have no idea where to start, what I would even need or be looking for
what ecu are you running now and what base map does it have? anyone think there is a possibility its not even chippied? Un screw your ECU and look to see if there is a chip. If you dont know take a pic of the ECU opened and post it
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

entirely possible. I bought a bunch of ECU's about 6 months back to chip and guy insisted he bought it chipped and wanted $100 for it so I popped the cover open and showed him this picture. His face was :0

I gave him $30

Look at IC4 and IC4. There are dioede and resistors added elsewhere in the board but this is the quickest way to be sure

CHIPPED ECU

UNCHIPPED ECU

This is a great site: http://www.superhonda.com/tech/honda...ogramming.html

Originally Posted by BREWSKI
what ecu are you running now and what base map does it have? anyone think there is a possibility its not even chippied? Un screw your ECU and look to see if there is a chip. If you dont know take a pic of the ECU opened and post it
Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Stiff Member

I "think" not 100% sure but even a stock P28 will run a B20 "ok"
Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

a stock p28 will start and run any honda up until like 2004. it may run lean due to the computer thinking its a d16, but it will run.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Stiff Member

a stock p28 will start and run any honda up until like 2004. it may run lean due to the computer thinking its a d16, but it will run.
How about an OBD1 P75? I sent him a txt if he has an OBD0 to OBD1 jumper last night. NO answer. I am hoping yes otherwise the seller lied to him and it may still be running - gasp - the stock P06!

It's a non VTEC LS ECU. It will at least eliminate his part throttle hesitation problem right? And will eliminate 2 variables = incorrect map burned into a "chipped ECU"

If the problem persists, start looking elsewhere.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

drtbiker4lyf has disabled reputation

Will check and see if it chipped when I get off work. According to the gut he said the OBD1 was hardwired in to eliminate the jumper and potential melting issues or something like that...?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

i was unaware you could hardwire in OBD1 to an ecu
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI

Is be skeptical to even run a stock vtec ecu just cause of the fact that its a b20. Even with a base map id feel uncomfortable. Everyone knows how sensitive e those motors are even with a mild build. Personally if u have funds is just drop a single in until you were more familiar with the b20 set up. Your going to have problems. Not bashing you op just trying to give good advice bro.

Quick Reply: B20b swap issues?