Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.
View Poll Results: Best High Compression Piston for B-Series Honda
JE/SRP
42.86%
CP
31.43%
Arias
5.71%
other
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Best High Compression Piston

Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
All-Motor Street Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best High Compression Piston

Originally Posted by Insperation
What compression is good for daily street driven?? My GS-R Head will be tweak wtih stage2 Cams. Am thinking 12:0.1
If tuned well, you can get away with 12.0:1. I personally would stick with 11.0:1-11.5:1. You can make 200+hp with that compression in 1.8 liter form.

What stage 2 cams will you be using?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1badITR
Many regard CP as some of the finest pistons for the money right now. I run them in the R.

I agree. Darius at CP used to head up piston design at Ross, and now he leads the sport compact division of CP.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Wii
Retired OG

Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii

Originally Posted by JayDM
If tuned well, you can get away with 12.0:1. I personally would stick with 11.0:1-11.5:1. You can make 200+hp with that compression in 1.8 liter form.

What stage 2 cams will you be using?

SKunk2
Old 07-13-2004, 10:21 AM
All-Motor Street Car

Nice cams...those things will sing with those compression numbers. Do you have valve springs and retainers yet?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

Wiseco IB spec are nice pistons, and they get a lot of publicity (namely from Jeff at IB and Jerry) but there are companies that have been doing strutted, gas ported pistons for a lot longer with better results, finer precision measurements, and better wear characteristics. JE and CP to name two of the finest.
ive seen a lot of dyno sheets..where the IB spec dyno's higher then other pistons
Old 07-13-2004, 11:03 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

Originally Posted by Insperation
What compression is good for daily street driven?? My GS-R Head will be tweak wtih stage2 Cams. Am thinking 12:0.1
my friend ran 12.6:1 cr in his daily driven R..82mm toda spec pistons..there for sale..in your motor they would run 13:1 cr..go to sgt..he will tune your car just fine..oh yeah 12.6:1 is just fine for daily driving
Old 07-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Wii
Retired OG

Nice cams...those things will sing with those compression numbers. Do you have valve springs and retainers yet?
THE GS-R head is tweak with all SKunk2 goodies.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:22 AM
All-Motor Street Car

Originally Posted by EEK
ive seen a lot of dyno sheets..where the IB spec dyno's higher then other pistons
I've seen the same dyno sheets. I'm not saying that they are not good pistons, they actually do perform better than most pistons. But have you ever seen a dyno graph comparing IB spec Wiseco's to CP gas ported pistons, or JE??? Nope....they compare their pistons to OFF THE SHELF pistons.

I understand why many people love these pistons though. IB does a great job "selling" their pistons. Like I said earlier, that technology has been around for years in NASCAR engines, Top Fuel engines, and even F1 engines.

Look at it this way...I can't even get information on the pistons that I got from JE. They are one off, custom slugs...they don't go around building websites boasting their products because its propriatary information that they don't want anyone else to know. Same thing goes for the CP pistons that I am having built for me...they won't tell me anything about them other than compression height, weight, pin size, etc.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:24 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

ic ic..have you installed them yet? i like to see your dyno sheet after your set up is done
Old 07-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Wii
Retired OG

Originally Posted by EEK
ic ic..have you installed them yet? i like to see your dyno sheet after your set up is done
No, none of my Internals have been put togather. Am researching on what pistons and ROds to get. Once I pick them out, am sending the LS Block to be Bored out and Sleeved. Am aiming for at least 220-230WHP.

Quick Reply: Best High Compression Piston