Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Block guard Causing Over heating?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default Re: Block guard Causing Over heating?

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
please expalin how a block guard can cause an over heating issues?
Explain how it can't.

It REALLY reduces the flow of coolant.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:57 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

i have never seen a z10 sleeved block over heat, i would have to say a block guard has more flow then this style sleeve

i have personal done 2 motors with that style sleeve and they drive the car everyday never had an over heating issue, i think his problem is the deck is not true

thats why i asked to explain im am always open to new ideas mabey there is something i over looked

Last edited by RameyBuilt; 12-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

i have never seen a z10 sleeved block over heat, i would have to say a block guard has more flow then this style sleeve

i have personal done 2 motors with that style sleeve and they drive the car everyday never had an over heating issue, i think his problem is the deck is not true

thats why i asked to explain im am always open to new ideas mabey there is something i over looked
First - If he even installed the block gaurd properly (having it honed AFTER its been installed) you're restricting a decent amount of coolant flow.

Second - Thats why if you re-read my post, you can see after thinking about it, I ventured away from that route and went towards a tune/lean situation. It wouldn't run fine for 5 months, have winter come along, then run hotter. Also, I'm not saying everyone who runs a block gaurd will over heat, but people who run a block gaurd, WILL run hotter.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

Originally Posted by RandomTask
First - If he even installed the block gaurd properly (having it honed AFTER its been installed) you're restricting a decent amount of coolant flow.

Second - Thats why if you re-read my post, you can see after thinking about it, I ventured away from that route and went towards a tune/lean situation. It wouldn't run fine for 5 months, have winter come along, then run hotter. Also, I'm not saying everyone who runs a block gaurd will over heat, but people who run a block gaurd, WILL run hotter.
I dont agree, do u have any real world data to back your clams up? theres a difference between what looks like it might work or not and then what actually happens in reality, i have never had a motor run hot weather it be a block guard or one of our sleeved motors, i will agree that the flow is reduced some but not enough to affect anything
Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Dogs

BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR

+1 Sounds like its not sealing the head gasket whether it be warped head or block.

Also my friend has a sleeved gsr that had the same issues (overheating,pushing water to reservoir) after the head gasket was changed twice with no luck , the block deck was inspected and had a little gash from what looked like prybar wedge on the deck. This was sanded down and filled with some kind of metal filler then sanded again now the car never overheats or blows headgskets.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM
h22 POWA

gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd

i am personally running a darton closed sleeved deck block. on a h22 and have a small eg radiator. but with a good fan but i have never over headted even under heavy throttle on a 100 degree day. so i don't believe it would be cause from a block guard. (as long as its installed correctly). my friend had his on his single and his was fine
Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

the head is lifting.

that is all.

a block guard will cause over heating only if it has shifted inside, or wasnt installed correctly. if it was fine before and is now all of a sudden fucking up. your head is lifting.

get new headstuds, stay away from arp's.

trust me i lost my motor to this. pushed water and cracked a sleeve.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

I dont agree, do u have any real world data to back your clams up? theres a difference between what looks like it might work or not and then what actually happens in reality, i have never had a motor run hot weather it be a block guard or one of our sleeved motors, i will agree that the flow is reduced some but not enough to affect anything
I don't understand how you can state you understand you reduce coolant flow w/o affecting the cooling of the motor. Coolant only has so much heat capacity. Once that is reached, flow will make all the difference.

Also, you're essentially pressing the block gaurd in, distorting the cylinders. While yes, you're supposed to hone to re-achieve concentricity, you're still altering the stress/preload and allowable thermal expansion of the cylinder walls. Lastly, you're increasing your heat mass.

So yeah, saying adding block guards doesn't effect anything with the cooling, again, it does.

Saying one block gaurd doesn't effect the cooling cability of a motor, then install 5 or 6 block gaurds, would you say then that it doesn't make a difference?

The cooling loss tradeoff for assurance on most street driven motors is negligable, but its still a trade off. Most street driven motors on high boost only see WOT for a brief period of time. As such, they don't generate enough heat that the new setup can overcome.

But again, I retracted my original theory on the block guard being the culprit.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

rbosacco is on a distinguished road

block guard is irrelevant, its not the problem. at that low of boost i say the head probably has some minor cracks in it due to a poor tune and now is trash. i've seen it before on honda's and subaru's. poor tune causes detonation and eventually bit by bit a bunch of little cracks reach the water jacket in the head and under alot of cylinder pressure the pressure leaks into the water jacket pushing out the coolant. or you could have poopy headstuds or a bad head gasket, and of course we are all taking for granted that you tested your radiator cap and its fine. they do go bad.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

i forgot to ask what studs u are running also if there arps, get ride of them and get a set of golden eagles, arps stretch
i told him to get GE's

Originally Posted by nagger
the head is lifting.

This.

Quick Reply: Block guard Causing Over heating?