Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Block guard Causing Over heating?

Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt
Default Re: Block guard Causing Over heating?

Originally Posted by RandomTask
I don't understand how you can state you understand you reduce coolant flow w/o affecting the cooling of the motor. Coolant only has so much heat capacity. Once that is reached, flow will make all the difference.

Also, you're essentially pressing the block gaurd in, distorting the cylinders. While yes, you're supposed to hone to re-achieve concentricity, you're still altering the stress/preload and allowable thermal expansion of the cylinder walls. Lastly, you're increasing your heat mass.

So yeah, saying adding block guards doesn't effect anything with the cooling, again, it does.

Saying one block gaurd doesn't effect the cooling cability of a motor, then install 5 or 6 block gaurds, would you say then that it doesn't make a difference?

The cooling loss tradeoff for assurance on most street driven motors is negligable, but its still a trade off. Most street driven motors on high boost only see WOT for a brief period of time. As such, they don't generate enough heat that the new setup can overcome.

But again, I retracted my original theory on the block guard being the culprit.

i see a bunch of big words but no actually real word stuff just theories, i can argue with u all day about this but I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT, block guards install correctly dont affect cooling at all, how bout i do a test i have a motor with a block guard in the at the shop ill do a test, same volume and pressure into the motor and ill monitor what comes out the thermostat, i bet i will see the exact same flow and volume

what does explaining how to install a block guard have to do with the flow of coolant???

*edit*
i reread your post again your saying installing a block guard some how increase cylinder temps? that doesnt make sense at all

Last edited by RameyBuilt; 12-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
h22 POWA

gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
i see a bunch of big words but no actually real word stuff just theories, i can argue with u all day about this but I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT, block guards install correctly dont affect cooling at all, how bout i do a test i have a motor with a block guard in the at the shop ill do a test, same volume and pressure into the motor and ill monitor what comes out the thermostat, i bet i will see the exact same flow and volume

what does explaining how to install a block guard have to do with the flow of coolant???

give it up man im not having a pissing contest with u about this dumb ass topic
plus rep for this
Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM
٩███۶ wilrep 4 a leg

ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt

*edit*
i reread your post again your saying installing a block guard some how increase cylinder temps? that doesnt make sense at all
Agreed, just think about h22 blocks some are open deck VS closed deck same exact motor just a factory "block gaurd" no overheating and people are boosting them fine, theirs a stigma behind block gaurds because people werent installing them correctly, doesnt mean they cause problems when done right, just like everything else in the automotive industry
Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

First of all, sleeves actually cool better than block guards. Sleeves are one piece, so heat from the sleeve goes right into the coolant. With a block guard, the cylinder has to conduct into the block guard and then into the coolant, and there is a thermal impedance mismatch between the cylinder and the block guard. This obviously only matters in the area where the block guard is, and that area alone won't make an engine overheat unless there is some other problem really helping things along.

You aren't really restricting coolant flow to anywhere but the head, and that's really hard to do unless the block guard design is pretty shitty because the coolant passages between the head and block aren't very large.

So yes, block guards can cause slightly worse cooling, but they shouldn't ever be the cause of cooling problems by themselves.

Oh, and every time this type of subject gets brought up, I have to say it: Install is very crucial. Who knows what problems you'll have if the block guard is installed improperly or the bores aren't post-machined to bring them back to some semblance of true. Head gasket sealing problems, ring sealing problems, lots of friction, take your pick.

As long as you have coolant flow through a block guard, and above/below the block guard, there shouldn't be any problems. The area that the block guard seats around is a pretty high heat area, but you're only blocking an area that is the thickness of the block guard itself. and there is still a lot of cooling over the rest of the cylinder area below that point.
Sleeves have the exact same problem, but they don't have the thermal impedance mismatch so they're slightly better (and they're radiused so the coolant flow is a little better optimized around the sleeve.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-29-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
٩███۶ wilrep 4 a leg

ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
First of all, sleeves actually cool better than block guards. Sleeves are one piece, so heat from the sleeve goes right into the coolant. With a block guard, the cylinder has to conduct into the block guard and then into the coolant, and there is a thermal impedance mismatch between the cylinder and the block guard. This obviously only matters in the area where the block guard is, and that area alone won't make an engine overheat unless there is some other problem really helping things along.

You aren't really restricting coolant flow to anywhere but the head, and that's really hard to do unless the block guard design is pretty shitty because the coolant passages between the head and block aren't very large.

So yes, block guards can cause slightly worse cooling, but they shouldn't ever be the cause of cooling problems by themselves.

Oh, and every time this type of subject gets brought up, I have to say it: Install is very crucial. Who knows what problems you'll have if the block guard is installed improperly or the bores aren't post-machined to bring them back to some semblance of true. Head gasket sealing problems, ring sealing problems, lots of friction, take your pick.
Think i beat u too it a little
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Both of you guys, hit the nail on the head.

I've never had a problem with block guards, I used them in almost all of my sohc's. However, I had gregorys install them as well as check the deck of the block.

Cory, I hate to say it, I know you are over gambling with your money to try and find a solution but ARP's do stretch. I haven't heard one person yet complain about Golden Eagle. I would get a Golden Eagle Headgasket and Stud kit. HOWEVER, before putting that on. Pull your motor out and take it to a machine shop (the bottom end and the head) and have both checked for warpage and if they need to be resurfaced.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by Crcale
INPUT.....

I am running 17 psi... and I have had this overheating issue for about 1 month now.. everything has been replaced except REMOVING THIS BLOCK GUARD!

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Go ask Honda-tech.com

Super-Honda.com

Ek9.org

d-series.org

Or just listen to Pete.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

Originally Posted by Fabrik8

As long as you have coolant flow through a block guard, and above/below the block guard, there shouldn't be any problems. The area that the block guard seats around is a pretty high heat area, but you're only blocking an area that is the thickness of the block guard itself. and there is still a lot of cooling over the rest of the cylinder area below that point.
Sleeves have the exact same problem, but they don't have the thermal impedance mismatch so they're slightly better (and they're radiused so the coolant flow is a little better optimized around the sleeve.
i saw in the post somewhere u said something about the metals being different so the heat transfer would be different well the b-series sleeves are 2 piece iron with alum around so technically your not hurting transfer any worse than the stock design? just a question i never thought about it like that?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's a good point. So the aluminum outer sleeve is in contact with the block guard, but there will still be slight thermal impedance mismatch because the metals aren't really in intimate contact. So it would be better than steel to aluminum, yes. You're still slightly limiting the surface area of the sleeve (where the blockguard is) in contact with the cooling water though. But like I said, that shouldn't have a significant effect on overall cooling.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
On One Wheel

sprayedcivic has disabled reputation

there is a new product out that may be able to help you pm me for details( cant post because i do not have vendor status)

Quick Reply: Block guard Causing Over heating?