Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Block guard Causing Over heating?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
da dragva kokopelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz
Default Re: Block guard Causing Over heating?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
blah
like i said them as a company is fine, but their b series headstuds have cost me a motor build.

and almost another one.

they almost cost justin a motor build, they have cost my friend brian 5 fucking headgaskets, that i had to help partake in doing.

and many other people that i know amongst other things. they are garbage unless they are brand new out of the box, andhave been retorqued after the suggested 500 miles after that, they belong in the garbage.

ive seen factory honda head bolts do better.....
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

<-- Thinks it's funny that Shawn would even mention that they stretch at 55psi. You don't use the same size headstuds as 'street' motors. Correct?

O, lets bash Cometic headgaskets too.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

no we use the same size ones that u have, the 1/2 ones are just a pain to deal with and i have seen where they acutally crack the webbing on the front of the block from stress, and u have to have the head drilled, really not worth it

Originally Posted by Jarrod
<-- Thinks it's funny that Shawn would even mention that they stretch at 55psi. You don't use the same size headstuds as 'street' motors. Correct?

O, lets bash Cometic headgaskets too.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Unlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I took a quick look at GE's site last night and they have the studs listed as being 8740 or 8640, so that's what I went with. If they're 4340, fine, but I was just going off of their web site.

I just re-read that other thread (from January), and realized that everyone completely neglected the fact that the stud size has nothing to do with the unthreaded diameter. The only thing that matters is the thread root diameter, which is identical for both brands of studs. The ARP is roughly the same unthreaded diameter as the thread root diameter, and the GE has a larger unthreaded diameter than the thread root diameter. This means that the GE is larger than it has to be because it's always going to fail at the threaded portion of the stud. My point is that the unthreaded diameter doesn't matter at all. I don't know why I didn't see that before.
Just FYI, not trying to bash.

Thread root diameter affects the amount of torque you can apply when tightening a fastener. Assuming that both studs are made of the same material, they would both have the same torque spec.
However, there seems to be some confusion as to the composition. Online stores sell Golden Eagle studs claiming them to be 4340, and the Golden Eagle website states that they are 8740.

BUT I have to disagree with your statement about the studs being of a comparable strength.

Stress = Force/Area

The area of a fastener includes the threaded portion of the fastener aswell as the unthreaded portion. It is clear in this case as to which of the studs is stronger.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Unlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond reputeUnlimited Auto has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic...

Corey, take my advice. I know you don't want to hear it but you need to pull the motor out, have the machine shop inspect the deck surface and resurface the deck and head if needed.

Check the studs to make sure they have not yielded and if they are out of spec AT ALL do not re-use them or you will only be buying yourself more problems. Also, do not put assembly lube on the bottom of the threads!

Chase the threads in the block with a cleaning tap and make sure to clean out all the metal from the bore, it is recommended that you tighten the head stud finger tight.

You will be chasing this problem forever unless you do what I have just told you.

Last edited by Unlimited Auto; 12-30-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Unlimited Auto
Thread root diameter affects the amount of torque you can apply when tightening a fastener.

Stress = Force/Area

The area of a fastener includes the threaded portion of the fastener aswell as the unthreaded portion.
I think you're saying the same thing as I was.
If the thread root is the smallest area, that's all that matters. If both fasteners have the smallest area at the thread root, the stress will be the same. The unthreaded portion doesn't matter if it is larger than the thread root, because if it is larger than the thread root the thread root will still have the highest local stress. In that case the unthreaded diameter matters very little, because the failure will be at the thread root.

So, the unthreaded diameter only matters if it is smaller than the thread root, which is somewhat common so there isn't a stress riser at the transition area between the grip (unthreaded area) and the threaded section. Good fasteners always have a smaller (or equal) diameter than the thread root for that reason.

So yes, as far as stretch is concerned, the GE studs will have a better stress distribution because of their larger diameter, but their yield will still at the smallest diameter. So they'll yield at the same load, but the stretch will be different than the ARP studs (of smaller diameter).

Interestingly, Golden Eagle says 4340 in their installation instructions and 8740 on the rest of the website. If that's not confusing.....

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-30-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

I can't even find Golden Eagle studs for a SOHC

Last edited by Unlimited Auto; 12-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale Crcale

lol... wow...

Ok.. Golden eagle doesnt make head studs for SOHC. so that weens that out.. my studs havent yeilded, the head is fine and the deck is fine.. i needed a larger radiator.. i was running a single core factory radiator made for the factory radiator that was pushing a 120hp stock car... also the reason it randomly seemed like it happend was i had a dual core out of a delsol before i put this radiator in found a hole so i purchased a new one.. and last but not least before i even gotten rid of the dual core my thermostat failed causing it to overheat...

Alll ending Car is FIne.. Runs beastly once again and i now have a greddy 1.3 cap and 3 core radiator and all is weelllll... thanks for alll your input guys.. i really got a lot out of this topic!..

THanks again pete but now that its fixed i wont be removing the motor...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

they should change the title of this thread
Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crcale
lol... wow...

Ok.. Golden eagle doesnt make head studs for SOHC. so that weens that out.. my studs havent yeilded, the head is fine and the deck is fine.. i needed a larger radiator.. i was running a single core factory radiator made for the factory radiator that was pushing a 120hp stock car... also the reason it randomly seemed like it happend was i had a dual core out of a delsol before i put this radiator in found a hole so i purchased a new one.. and last but not least before i even gotten rid of the dual core my thermostat failed causing it to overheat...

Alll ending Car is FIne.. Runs beastly once again and i now have a greddy 1.3 cap and 3 core radiator and all is weelllll... thanks for alll your input guys.. i really got a lot out of this topic!..

THanks again pete but now that its fixed i wont be removing the motor...
I am extremely happy to hear that, but I still have my doubts. Time will tell for sure.

It just reminds me of the problems I had when I first started messing with my old SOHC setup. I know what I had to do to resolve the issue. It just seems like you have the same problem that I once had.

Last edited by Unlimited Auto; 12-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Block guard Causing Over heating?