Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

boostin' the b20

Old 02-27-2005, 04:34 PM
square1motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: boostin' the b20

Originally Posted by 91 Hatch
it will not hold together long with stock bottom end, maybe a few months
i agree, i also have a b20 and am about to boost it. tuning is key, but it will not hold together to long with everything stock on that much boost.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:44 PM
SSSSSVT

91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch

Originally Posted by yeer
like i said tuning will be key......

ask shad or steve sakai, best 2 tuners in the area. ive seen crazy numbers on stock blocks thru the both of them and all seem to be reliable. plus crazy numbers from steve sakai on really high compression na motors daily driven.

so stick to your probe....
u just don't understand, r u the one that use to have the jackson racing supercharger????
Old 02-27-2005, 05:11 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

b20's have different sleeves that are different than ls or gsr types, they are "seimese" (sp?) or something , apparently they thin'ed them out to put 84mm pistons in them. i guess thats what makes them weaker
Old 02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
aznRay...

yeer is an unknown quantity at this point

i never said that with any amount of boost on a b20 theres nothing that could go wrong. i just said tuning will be key

Last edited by yeer; 02-27-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:19 PM
aznRay...

u just don't understand, r u the one that use to have the jackson racing supercharger????
yup and the rsx which i tuned my own custom program with on the hondata kpro.

theres alot to do with tuning for any motor. most should know a couple of b20 swaps running stock internals with very close to the amount of boost mentioned and seems to be running just fine and strong.

Last edited by yeer; 02-27-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:35 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

See this is the problem. People hear horror stories from one person and think its the truth for everyone else.
hows tunning going to keep the cylinder walls from moving, or the rods from all the pressure, tuning will save the pistons
Originally Posted by 90 hatch
i agree, i also have a b20 and am about to boost it. tuning is key, but it will not hold together to long with everything stock on that much boost.
Please tell me why you two say that. Do either of you have any experience with a boosted B20? And like ray (yeer) said tuning is the key part. I have a B20b running 14lbs with a turbonetics t3/t04b and i drive it every day. Hell i deliver pizza in the damn thing. I have had the motor in my car for over a year, and it has been boosted since around the end of July beginning of August. So let say thats about 6 months. I started delivering pizza around the end of august begining of September and put over 50 miles on my car every day. And trust me i do not take it easy on my car. My motor is bone stock, and has a stock headgasket. I just have 550 injecters, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and 255 lph fuel pump tuned with hondata.
Now if you have a B20z then i do not know how well that motor will hold up with boost.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:47 PM
aznRay...

Originally Posted by MP5
See this is the problem. People hear horror stories from one person and think its the truth for everyone else.

Please tell me why you two say that. Do either of you have any experience with a boosted B20? And like ray (yeer) said tuning is the key part. I have a B20b running 14lbs with a turbonetics t3/t04b and i drive it every day. Hell i deliver pizza in the damn thing. I have had the motor in my car for over a year, and it has been boosted since around the end of July beginning of August. So let say thats about 6 months. I started delivering pizza around the end of august begining of September and put over 50 miles on my car every day. And trust me i do not take it easy on my car. My motor is bone stock, and has a stock headgasket. I just have 550 injecters, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and 255 lph fuel pump tuned with hondata.
Now if you have a B20z then i do not know how well that motor will hold up with boost.
and that would be one of the guys mentioned that is running a bone stock b20 with very close to those amount of boost mentioned by the guy that started the thread.

mike and his crazy fast hatch
Old 02-27-2005, 06:09 PM
square1motorsports

90 hatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yeer
and that would be one of the guys mentioned that is running a bone stock b20 with very close to those amount of boost mentioned by the guy that started the thread.

mike and his crazy fast hatch
he must have one lucky motor. i hope mine will hold like that also. you no how you here people say it will not hold over 15 pounds on stock internals. hopefully i will find out at the end of the season. yes agreed, Mike hatch is damn fast and heard it is even faster. cant wait to see the times it runs.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex

It's not the amount of boost but how much whp he's trying to get out of it. I have know several people running 18+ psi on ls motor stock with a fairly large turbo. It's about cylinder pressure and tuning all the way. There are just too many factors in take into account. I have blown motors on just 6 psi. and boosted motors up to 15psi stock with no problems. Your taking a chance either way, just be prepared to dish out the money to fix it.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:11 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 90 hatch
he must have one lucky motor. i hope mine will hold like that also. you no how you here people say it will not hold over 15 pounds on stock internals. hopefully i will find out at the end of the season. yes agreed, Mike hatch is damn fast and heard it is even faster. cant wait to see the times it runs.
Do i know you? And if you want to say its because i have a lucky motor then fine. I think its because i did it right the first time and didnt try to cut corners by using a FMU and so forth. Dont get me wrong. Im not saying it wont blow. I just am saying that its not gonna go out on you in a month. I keep a close eye on my motor and do compression checks frequently. So far the motor is holding together strong so i wouldnt doubt a B20b.

Quick Reply: boostin' the b20