Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Building 400whp boosted gsr need help

Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwaym24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building 400whp boosted gsr need help

so what type of rods should i use then. I am using this not as a dd but as a toy for street and strip. I have a gsr trans i am planning to rebuild DSS axles and a set of MT street slicks. willwood brake upgrade with rear drum for now will do from what i hear. I have wiseco 9to1 pistons and ferrea valves (however it is speld). So i plan to use a stock crank oem honda head gasket water and oil pump and bearings. SOUND GOOD? but what rods? sleeve or block guard? also what clutch do yall recomnd. I have been building hondas for years but this is my first performance build.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 AM
*Mr. Boosty Pants*

JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX

I recommend atleast a Clutch master Stage 5 clutch, or a twin disk, As for rods, i would go with Manley or Pauter rods as stated above. Eagle Rods are decent and will withstand 400HP with no problems i have a friend with 780+ running eagle rods without a single problem going 9.45 in the 1/4. I would look at going with a sleeved motor in the future if you plan on keeping a setup together.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Originally Posted by DeFunk
I really would not recommend Eagle rods. Where do people yank these "psi" numbers out of? No turbo selection has been discussed, so it seems moot.

With a 400hp goal, I'm assuming he'll want something that is nice on the street. Though to toss a turbo into the mix, a GT30R .82ar or GT35R .63ar would probably suit you (the OP) nicely, the GT30R being my pick between the two.

One reason I recommend not going with Eagle rods is in several other posts of mine (just search them), though the fact of the matter is... I've yet to have a customer, friend, etc. content with a previously set "hp goal" when working with a GSR. As time goes on, "400hp" just isn't enough (plenty on the street but not at a track, etc.) and they want to do a simple turbo upgrade. Whereas, had they built entirely on the previous goal, they would have gone back to rebuilding the engine, upgrading the rods, etc, etc.

If exploring the possibility of doing this (ie. your budget is that "tight") I recommend saving up a bit more. When turbo'ing a Honda, one thing should be kept in the back of your mind if this is your DD.... things could break, will you have the money to fix the problem in time not to cause a problem with you getting to work, school, etc. Its very seldom for a business to care though, so don't expect to hear that sales pitch thrown at you.
I yank PSI numbers out of my experience, and I stated in my post that the turbo would need to be capable of supporting the air flow, and with that being said it is not moot. We are talking about 400whp in a Gsr.. This is not rocket science.

As for eagle rods, I installed them in a daily driven 300zx TT and they have been holding great for almost 2 years and there is not even a hint of an issue, also I ran them in my turbo SOHC for over a year on 20psi through a precision SC3431-e .60/.63 without a problem. However, I have heard stories of poor QC and spun bearings due to big end bore clearances being out of spec. But I have never seen it personally... Even that is moot because if you check what you are putting in your motor you should know exactly what to expect. If the bore is not the right diameter dont use the rod!

Currently I am running crower rods in my built setup and they were all very consistent in weight and balanced out perfectly without removing much material. I am very satisfied with the quality that I have seen from crower.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

so eagle crower manley rods? which ones?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

bugg_08 has disabled reputation
Re: Building 400whp boosted gsr need help

eagle rods will be fine just have the block blueprint and balance
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

what if i used a b17 block with crower cams 81.5 pistons with a jdm gsr head ferrea valves skunk 2 or supertech springs and stock ctr cams and block grd. with all oem honda replacement bearings and seals. would that do good. i have a b17 with crower rods but whats better the b17 or b18. can i use b17 gsr rods in my b18c1?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 AM
*Mr. Boosty Pants*

JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX JDMB16CRX

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/engine-exhaust-drivetrain-70/fully-built-84mm-gsr-race-ready-271599/ Just buy my motor and your problem is solved. The motor with hold 400hp and beg for more.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
TiM-MaY!

coolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the rough

recently tuned a GSR w/ rods/pistons/blockguard with a 35R .82 exhaust... on 18PSI made 420HP on our mustang dyno... 9:1 motor on pump gas
Old 01-11-2009, 02:31 PM
www.teamdohc.org

92civicls is an unknown quantity at this point

eagle rods are fine....i have a b16 rods pistons cams springs all that crap on stock sleeves with a good turbo making 417 on pump daily driven for almost 2 years now. but i would highly recommend sleeving the block, that is the only thing i didnt do that i wish i had done now. also have a friend making 600whp on eagle rods so i dont see the problem if you are building a street car best bang for the buck imo.

Quick Reply: Building 400whp boosted gsr need help