Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cant get axles out of tranny mazda mx-6 ls v6

Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: cant get axles out of tranny mazda mx-6 ls v6

Originally Posted by Beans90CRX
Here you go straight from Alldata Your Welcome!
Those image links are rotating, I keep getting different pictures every time I refresh the page. LOL...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

As much as I like to be an asshole, the transmission in question is famous for seizing the lock ring in the side gears. In fact, there was a special driver tool sold about 12 years ago by Matco for driving them out from the other side of the cross pin.

Dont fuck with it, pop the CV shaft loose from the wheel end and leave it in the tranny. Trust me.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Must not have put a proper chamfer on the side gears to compress the lock ring. Or the lock ring groove on the axle is the wrong profile.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Somewhat. Generally what we see is the ring groove is a little too far in and it pops outta the groove in the side gear, locking it behind the groove.

Most of the time I can come through with a thin punch from the other side of the cross pin (if you can get the other axle out) but if the axle is not being replaced I just leave them in. Less of a chance of fucking it up and getting blamed for it.

That being said, I have had a few of them we had to cut out before. I have this sweet adapter I made for a 15lb slide hammer to rip them out. Its quite the violent scenario.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

93civicdxgreen has disabled reputation

wow the moderators deleted half the thread but yea i got them out i bought a slide hammer made with a adapter to get the axles out .