Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

car stopped boosting. running crappy

Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shadows is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car stopped boosting. running crappy

check your wastegate, spring could be letting off exhaust before boost even kicks in... happened to me a long time ago.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by ramdog
definitly check the couplers for the proper connections. same thing happened to me and when i checked it there were no tears on the top, but when i looked on the bottom i had tore one to shreds. really dont think that it is a blown turbo you would definitly know. your would see smoke, smell oil, would feel a gradual lose in power.
Definitely. Start by looking for torn couplers, then wastegate, BOV, etc.

Keep It Simple Stupid
Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Reminds me of a friends car. All of a sudden his car wouldn't boost anything and infact wouldn't even make enough manifold pressure to reach 0psi gauge. Couldn't find any leaks in the charge pipes or exhaust and the turbo and engine were fine. Come to find out his shitty intake pipe on the turbo was collapsing shut everytime he stepped on the gas
Old 06-18-2006, 07:29 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by murphy660
MAFS?

is it a rough rev up to 3k? or does it go right up there and then start to choke?

my moneys on couplers or a mass air.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

UPDATE:
I dont have my digital camera cable so i cant take a pick tonight but i drew one in paint using my laptop touchpad
i think i found my problem. there seems to be a big gap between the compressor housing and the back plate of the compressor and it looks like some bolts are missing. hopefully nothing is broke or anything and i can tighten it back up. i would really really appreciat it if someone who is more knowlagable about turbos would come take a quick look at it sometime if they are in the richmond area.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

If theres a gap there I'm betting the housing isn't aligned. I'd be sure to check your turbo veins, looks like they would have been destroyed.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

someone else used the bolts on the housing instead of the c-clip to clock the housing and the bolts loosened and fell out causing the housing to seperate. the housing did eat up the compressor wheel. can i just buy a new wheel, everything seems fine just the wheel rubbed the housing a little. it would be a shame for a brand new $600 turbo to be wasted with only about 100 miles on it.