Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

carb'd to Fuel inj... What do I Need?!?!??!?!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:39 PM
'06 Civic si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BritsCivic96 has disabled reputation
Default carb'd to Fuel inj... What do I Need?!?!??!?!

I believe i saw this done on a stang...i have a camaro z/28 w/ a 350. the 350 is carburated and its a bitch to start in the winter...(its already having problems now) my question is...what all is needed to transform my car into a FI...is it even possible? any help would be great!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: carb'd to Fuel inj... What do I Need?!?!??!?!

Originally Posted by BritsCivic96
I believe i saw this done on a stang...i have a camaro z/28 w/ a 350. the 350 is carburated and its a bitch to start in the winter...(its already having problems now) my question is...what all is needed to transform my car into a FI...is it even possible? any help would be great!
what year is your camaro? sounds like you have a bad choke on your carb.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You need pretty much everything. All of the sensors, fuel injectors (and a manifold with injector bosses), an ECU, wiring harness, possibly different fuel pump, a crank angle encoder wheel, and more.
For a Camaro, you're probably better off swapping in an engine from a later model that is fuel injected, or at least all of the required parts. This is often cheaper than getting a FI retrofit kit from someone like EdelBrock (but the EdelBrock kits are really nice) That may be what you're actually asking though...?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
'06 Civic si

camaro is a 1986.i want to keep the motor because it is brand new and somewhat built...cams roller rockers...etc. i checked out the edelbrock kit...it is exactly what i need!!! just cost ALOT more than i thought. Thanks guys....i will check out the choke on the carb...but the carb i new too, double pump edelbrock...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I would really look into common parts from FI engines if you're on a budget. Small blocks haven't changed much in.. umm.. decades really. The chassis and everything should be common enough between yours and the later models of the same body style that you should be able to get everything out of a later FI chassis, for cheaper than an EdelBrock kit. I have no idea about tuning the stock (Delphi?) ECUs that the FI Camaros came with though, so that may or may not be a consideration also..

By the way..
Read the EdelBrock Pro-Tuner EFI page, and then look closely at my signature. You'll see why I'm partial to EdelBrock Pro-Tuner stuff. And no, whetever it is, I'm not allowed, don't ask.

There are other brands out there also, in various price ranges obviously. The reason that everything is (seemingly) expensive is that everything is new. And ECUs aren't cheap. Labor and connectors to make a wiring harness aren't either. Tuning software adds a little to the cost also. Pretty much any kit that is complete enough to do what you need will work though, and the price differences are down to added extras and the quality of the ECU, etc. Like any other piece of electronics, you get what you pay for, and production volume factors in a lot.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-08-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

camaro is a 1986.i want to keep the motor because it is brand new and somewhat built...cams roller rockers...etc. i checked out the edelbrock kit...it is exactly what i need!!! just cost ALOT more than i thought. Thanks guys....i will check out the choke on the carb...but the carb i new too, double pump edelbrock...
what model # edelbrock carb did you get? and only holleys are double pump. i have tons of experience with chevrolet v8s
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM
'06 Civic si

i dont know the model #, it was installed right before i bought the car and it says edelbrock on it and in the listing the guy NEW double pump carb. it really doesnt make a diff. to me.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 AM
corona connessuer

i dont know the model #, it was installed right before i bought the car and it says edelbrock on it and in the listing the guy NEW double pump carb. it really doesnt make a diff. to me.
look right at the front of the carb right at the bottom on the baseplate. it should have a # stamped on it. like 1405 or 1406 or something like that. that will tell me alot
Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
'06 Civic si

1411 is what it says
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
corona connessuer

1411 is what it says
Carburetor, Performer, 750 cfm, 4-Barrel, Square Bore, Electric Choke, Single Inlet, Silver, Each

Brand: Edelbrock
Product Line: Edelbrock Performer Carburetors
Part Type: Carburetors
Number of Barrels: 4
Carburetor Flange: Square bore
Choke: Electric
Fuel: Gasoline
Secondary Type: Air valve
New or Remanufactured: New
Fuel Inlet: Single
CFM: 750
Carburetor Finish: Silver
Ford Kickdown: No
Throttle Linkage Type: Universal
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Mid performance street, towing, calibrated for economy.

if you want to bring it by my house i can check it out and adjust the choke

Quick Reply: carb'd to Fuel inj... What do I Need?!?!??!?!