Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Changed head, now car wont start?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 AM
NAZI mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Changed head, now car wont start?

I replaced the head on my 91 camry, put everything back together the way the haynes manual said, and now the damn car wont start. It turns over fine, its getting spark and fuel, but it wont run. I have checked all my grounds, and made sure my injectors are clipped on tight, but if the timing was off by about 2-3 teeth in the belt, would that make a difference? I imagine it would screw up my valves. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default Re: Changed head, now car wont start?

I think it would matter a lot. not necessarily for the aspect of hitting your pistons and such, but the fact that your timing would be so far off, that it would not be able to hold a steady combustion.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yes, timing would make a difference.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I have a 20 valve...

put everything back to TDC and tell us how it goes.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yes, timing would make a difference.
Originally Posted by crxnfx
put everything back to TDC and tell us how it goes.
Well, I guess I will take evyehting BACK apart tomorrow and see if its all lined up correctly.

What if everything IS lined up correctly? what could be the cause of the probelm then?

This is my first time messing with an OHC motor: I dont know if there will be another
Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

You don't have to take everything apart. Take the piston number 1 spark plug out and get a long skinny screw driver and turn the crank pulley bolt till the screw driver is at it's peak. Then turn the cam till the arrow points up, put the spark plug back in, and the belt back on without moving the crank or cam, and it should start up.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

If the timing is dead on, then since you have to put everything back together anyways, triple check everything as you put it back. If the timing isn't the culprit, then it was something else you've overlooked. If thats the case, I'm sure you will notice it.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM
NAZI mod

I just went and tried to start it again. nothing.

But I did notice that is sounded like it had very little compression. So my exhaust valves must be opening a little too early. My timing has to be off.

in order to re-set it, I have to pull the valve cover, passenger side motor mount, timing cover and pull the alternator off. God dman 3SFE
Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Originally Posted by Stroke-it
I just went and tried to start it again. nothing.

But I did notice that is sounded like it had very little compression. So my exhaust valves must be opening a little too early. My timing has to be off.

in order to re-set it, I have to pull the valve cover, passenger side motor mount, timing cover and pull the alternator off. God dman 3SFE
That motor isnt the worst ever, alot of other motors/vehicle you'll have to do the same if not a little more. When its all said and done, and your car runs, atleast you know you didn't half ass anything.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I have a 20 valve...

now I'm generalizing, but all you should really have to do is loosen the tensioner and take off the timing belt and valve cover.

most valve trains have a way to lock them into place: honda's actually have a little hole in the 1st set of cam bearings which correlates to a whole in the cam....which also happens to be TDC!

Engineers did some of these things to make it easier for the little guy (you and me). check on your crank to find TDC and crank it over till the notches, arrows, lines etc match, then go from there.

Good luck, I'm very interested to hear what happens.

Quick Reply: Changed head, now car wont start?