Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Changed head, now car wont start?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Changed head, now car wont start?

If it isn't the timing, you've most likely broken something like a sensor while you were taking everything apart or putting everything back together, or you've damaged something in the harness. There really isn't much of anything on the head itself, so if you're having a problem (that isn't timing) you would have had to damage something somewhere else.

I've never dealt with that specific engine, but the only sensors that could affect anything that are often mounted to the head are the coolant temp sensor and the cam position sensor, and many engines have those mounted somewhere else. That's why I think it's likely that any part failure would be located somewhere else.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Pm Hatch Man(GsR) he is a tech and lives in VB he can help you out...
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
That motor isnt the worst ever, alot of other motors/vehicle you'll have to do the same if not a little more. When its all said and done, and your car runs, atleast you know you didn't half ass anything.

This is the third time I have to take it apart though. I should have had the original head checked, but I didnt, hence the reason for the new head.

Originally Posted by crxnfx
now I'm generalizing, but all you should really have to do is loosen the tensioner and take off the timing belt and valve cover.

most valve trains have a way to lock them into place: honda's actually have a little hole in the 1st set of cam bearings which correlates to a whole in the cam....which also happens to be TDC!

Engineers did some of these things to make it easier for the little guy (you and me). check on your crank to find TDC and crank it over till the notches, arrows, lines etc match, then go from there.

Good luck, I'm very interested to hear what happens.
Yeah, there are timing marks on the cams and the crank pulley. its not hard to set it to TDC, its just hard to get everything apart. I have to remove the motor mount and alternator in order to even get the timing cover off. its better than taking the entire car apart gain though.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it isn't the timing, you've most likely broken something like a sensor while you were taking everything apart or putting everything back together, or you've damaged something in the harness. There really isn't much of anything on the head itself, so if you're having a problem (that isn't timing) you would have had to damage something somewhere else.

I've never dealt with that specific engine, but the only sensors that could affect anything that are often mounted to the head are the coolant temp sensor and the cam position sensor, and many engines have those mounted somewhere else. That's why I think it's likely that any part failure would be located somewhere else.
The only part failure I can think of would be like you said, a coolant temp sensor, but I replaced that with the water pump and thermostat. I am almost positive its the timing though, after taking inputs from you guys. It ran fine (minus the blown head gasket) when i took it apart, and I didn't remove any sensors so i had to put something back together wrong.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
Pm Hatch Man(GsR) he is a tech and lives in VB he can help you out...

will do.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Timing belt was off about 2 teeth, put it to TDC and car fired right up.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yep, that would do it.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
NAZI mod

Now the damn thing idles rough.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Racetracks

Reset the ECU, so any stored parameters are erased and relearned.. What else did you change during the process of figuring out what was wrong?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

Originally Posted by Stroke-it
Timing belt was off about 2 teeth, put it to TDC and car fired right up.
congrats.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 AM
NAZI mod

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Reset the ECU, so any stored parameters are erased and relearned.. What else did you change during the process of figuring out what was wrong?
how would i go about re-setting it? its not throwing any CEL codes as of right now...and I only changed the head gasket, head, water pump, timing belt, radiator and thermostat. a few gaskets here and there, but as far as the engine goes, thats about it.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

I believe you can pull the ecu fuse out for a minute or so then plug it back in. Or disconnect the ecu completely and plug it back in.

Quick Reply: Changed head, now car wont start?