Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

chirping sound coming from cam gears

Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts
Default chirping sound coming from cam gears

This started happening yesterday.. As i started the car, it chirped for about 5-10 seconds and went away i was like wth. Turned it off and started it, chirped again and went away. So i drove home, 10 min after leaving i heard the chirping noise again it was reallly loud, pulled into garage let it sit overnight. Changed oil this morning, but oil filter wouldnt budge so i left the same one on. started up the car, it didnt chirp for about 20 seconds, but then i started to hear it growing louder and louder from the timing belt. So shut it off, and now im here asking u guys wth is wrong with this stupid honda. Is it even safe to drive with this? could timing belt have gotten lose over time? timing belt was changed about 20k miles ago.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: chirping sound coming from cam gears

Could be the tensioner coming loose and the belt squeeling.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

can tensioner be tightened ? without removing everything??
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
can tensioner be tightened ? without removing everything??
I don't know about that. If I remember correctly but don't hold me to this the whole timing cover is platic, if so just pull that off and look.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

did some research, found this pic that helps ALOTT, ill get back to u after tightening

Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

Yea its the tensioner, mine went bad on me last summer. You may as well replace it with a new one because its a bitch and a half to attempt to simply tighten it. Hope this helps
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Tensioner bearing. Need new tensioner. This is the reason that you change the tensioner when you change the timing belt. Tensioners aren't given away for free, but it's cheap when you consider the time involved with replacing it (like you're going to do) separately from the timing belt.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

turned out to be alternator belt, FIXED
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Cool, good to hear.