Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k

Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Full-time New Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of
Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k

I couldn't figure out a better way to say it without the thread title sounding like a joke. Haha

But I'm curious as to what the problem may be. My 95 Civic has an LS swap in it, and no matter what gear I'm in, the throttle is very jerky just like if I were in 1st gear. I let off the gas, the car lurches forward, give the car a little gas, the car lurches back. At 1.5k revs, the rev bounces back and forth between 1.5k-1.4k if I keep the throttle open that much. If I give it more gas, the car will go back to normal.

I've gotten used to it, and it doesn't really bother me TERRIBLY, but I'm just curious as to what the problem may be in case I felt like fixing it. It gets really annoying when going through parking lots in second gear at a steady pace, and the car keeps lurching back and forth because the revs are around 1.5k, and I have a steady throttle.

The lurching happens at any rpm. I don't have the front two engine mount installed (tranny side and AC side), so maybe that might be a factor?

Let me know if this sounds familiar, or if you have a guess to what the problem may be.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k

I'm assuming you mean the torque mounts, I don't have them installed on my b20b swap so I doubt thats your problem.

Is it throwing any check engine lights?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cleanEK
I'm assuming you mean the torque mounts, I don't have them installed on my b20b swap so I doubt thats your problem.

Is it throwing any check engine lights?
Yeah, torque mounts. I have them, just not installed because I need to lift the engine slightly so it'll move and I can fit both the mounts on. Engines a tad crooked.

It's kind of embarrassing, but ever since I purchased the civic with the LS swap last December, it's been throwing codes. Never thought to get them read because it's an OBD0 with an OBD1 engine, or an OBD1 ECU and an OBD2 engine. I'm not really sure which one it is, I don't know too much about cars.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scottyk6
Yeah, torque mounts. I have them, just not installed because I need to lift the engine slightly so it'll move and I can fit both the mounts on. Engines a tad crooked.

It's kind of embarrassing, but ever since I purchased the civic with the LS swap last December, it's been throwing codes. Never thought to get them read because it's an OBD0 with an OBD1 engine, or an OBD1 ECU and an OBD2 engine. I'm not really sure which one it is, I don't know too much about cars.
Its an obd1 car, not sure of the motor because they have both obd1 and obd2 LS motors.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Full-time New Guy

Its an obd1 car, not sure of the motor because they have both obd1 and obd2 LS motors.
The engine was from a 2000 Integra LS...So I'm guessing it's an OBD2
Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Scottyk6
The engine was from a 2000 Integra LS...So I'm guessing it's an OBD2
yes.

With out knowing what the CEL is its kinda hard to figure out whats going on. I would recommend getting it scanned and go from there.

Last edited by cleanEK; 11-08-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why does no one ever say that they're throwing codes?

Yes, I would practically guarantee that some how your engine response problems are related to whatever is causing the CELs. CELs are usually caused by sensor problems (or fucked up swap wiring) and sensor problems will usually cause an ECU to make an engine run like shit. Find what is causing the CELs, and you will find what you need to fix to make the engine run properly. That's what the entire concept of the CEL is all about.

This is like saying "I feel woozy and I'm bleeding from somewhere, and I'm kinda weak. Can someone help figure out what's wrong? Oh, I forget to mention someone shot me".

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-08-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Full-time New Guy

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
This is like saying "I feel woozy and I'm bleeding from somewhere, and I'm kinda weak. Can someone help figure out what's wrong? Oh, I forget to mention someone shot me".
Hahahahaha. I guess I'll have to get the codes read. But good advice.

Probably bad ECU wiring, because the guy that did the swap didn't buy a conversion harness--just soldered wires together. I should have knew that was a red flag, oh well. My car's pretty crappy, haha.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered member

You shouldn't need a conversion harness. Depending on what alternator, dizzy he used he would either have to re-pin it or change the wires. If you said he soldered the wires, I'm assuming he used the obd2 dizzy and obd2 alternator. Which is not a big deal.

But as said before, go get the CEL checked out and report back.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr you could just buy my civic, thats in my profile
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Full-time New Guy

You shouldn't need a conversion harness. Depending on what alternator, dizzy he used he would either have to re-pin it or change the wires. If you said he soldered the wires, I'm assuming he used the obd2 dizzy and obd2 alternator. Which is not a big deal.

But as said before, go get the CEL checked out and report back.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr you could just buy my civic, thats in my profile
I'm not sure what parts are in my engine. I know that the guy had a GSR in it before the LS went it (he kept the GSR to put in his new project), so I'm not sure what parts he swapped out when he did the swap.

But shoot, I'd buy your car just for the quality work done on the ECU swap, I'm pretty jealous right now. Haha. Actually done the non-cheapo way.

Quick Reply: Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k